New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My grandfather gave me a winchester 1890 .22 long octagon barrel rifle that is a family gun. Based on this (https://www.justanswer.com/firearms/7ayvt-value-winchester-model-1890-octagon-barrel.html) its the third model of the gun. I just moved to New Jersey from down south and I'm trying to figure out the laws up here...if my gun is an antique so its under different rules, or if I still need it registered and a license. I don't own any other guns, I'm not a hunter, and the last time I shot a gun was 15 years ago at an NRA gun safety event...so needless to say, I don't know anything about anything. If I can legally keep my gun without registering it, I'd prefer that of course, but if I'm breaking any laws by having it here without it registered or with a license, then I'd rather take the proper course to make sure I'm within the law.

I'm also interested in possibly the selling the gun at some point. It is a family gun so I'm torn but I'd like to know how I would need to do it.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
First of all, NJ doesn't differentiate between a modern firearm and an antique.

That said, you are fine as there is no need to register any firearm in NJ. There is a defacto registration that takes place when you purchase firearms in NJ...particularly handguns where a permit needs to be acquired and a copy of the paperwork sent in to the authorities upon purchase.

I would still apply for a NJFPID card from your local police station. Doing so will allow you to transport the rifle without having to ensure you fall into the exceptions outlined in the reasonable deviation verbiage of the law(http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/agopinions/Transporting-Firearms_Guidelines.pdf). With a NJFPID card you can have the rifle in you vehicle at any time.

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
My grandfather gave me a winchester 1890 .22 long octagon barrel rifle that is a family gun. Based on this (https://www.justanswer.com/firearms/7ayvt-value-winchester-model-1890-octagon-barrel.html) its the third model of the gun. I just moved to New Jersey from down south and I'm trying to figure out the laws up here...if my gun is an antique so its under different rules, or if I still need it registered and a license. I don't own any other guns, I'm not a hunter, and the last time I shot a gun was 15 years ago at an NRA gun safety event...so needless to say, I don't know anything about anything. If I can legally keep my gun without registering it, I'd prefer that of course, but if I'm breaking any laws by having it here without it registered or with a license, then I'd rather take the proper course to make sure I'm within the law.

I'm also interested in possibly the selling the gun at some point. It is a family gun so I'm torn but I'd like to know how I would need to do it.
That is about a $700 gun so choose your course of action wisely. No need to do anything if you just want to keep it. If it was acquired legally at its point of origin there is nothing you need to do. You DO NOT NEED AN FID CARD AS SUGGESTED AS THE THE WAY YOU AQUIRED IT IS AN EXCEPTION. However, if you wish to buy ammo to shoot it you will need an FID card to buy .22 ammo in NJ

1 - 3 of 3 Posts