New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I want to redo the finish on my new england slug gun stock ..has anyone ever done one ? Can I use a stripper to remove the old finish or should I just stick with sanding it? Is using a basic stain and sealer from home depot OK ? I did want to change the color too and use a dark green stain that home depot sells...any advice would be great

Well I finally got around to redoing this gun and I must say it was easier then I though
..took me just over a week but its done...
Wood Hardwood

Wood

Wood

Trigger Revolver

·
Registered
8,011 Posts
Strip it with a non-petroleum based stripper like fast orange. If using a stain use a water based type. To seal it use exterior polyurethane but not with a brush or spray. Instead use very little on the tip of two fingers and rub it into the stock thoroughly[ less is more here], steel wool when dry,wipe clean with naptha the repeat the process 3-4 times.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Strip it with a non-petroleum based stripper like fast orange. If using a stain use a water based type. To seal it use exterior polyurethane but not with a brush or spray. Instead use very little on the tip of two fingers and rub it into the stock thoroughly[ less is more here], steel wool when dry,wipe clean with naptha the repeat the process 3-4 times.
Thanks for the advice!!

·
Registered
5,875 Posts
Laminate stocks are layed up under heat and pressure to embed epoxy throughout the wood fibers. The wood is actually dyed as is the epoxy they use. If you strip with a chemical stripper make sure it isn't anything that would eat into the epoxy or you may run into issues. Also don't expect a standard stain to take real well, the exposed end grains would most likely take up more stain than the other areas and where the epoxy still fills the pores it may not take it up at all.

·
Registered
8,011 Posts
Yea I do agree, the camo is too light but o well , not going to spend another $300 for a scope because this ones colors don't match lol( its a awesome scope and of all my guns I like this ones the best)
Then dress it up,cover the lens up with painters tape and give it a couple coats of matte black lacquer. Would look awesome...just a thought

·
Premium Member
4,189 Posts
Beautiful job, I really like the green stain. Total transformation from the original.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.