New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Headed out this morning with Jimmy and Johnny hoping for a repeat of yesterdays tog bite. Found some one had pillaged my crabs last night , but we still had a bucketfull and figured it would be all we needed, but the bite was very scratchy and the bucket had alot of empty shells in it, and as Murrphys law would suggest we ran out of bait as the bite got a little better this afternoon . We had a bunch of just legal tog to start the day, which we elected to throw back hoping to fill a cooler with nice roaster size tog. Hindsite says we should have kept those fish since they were legal but we were happy with the 9 nice tog we did keep for the freezer. biggest three today right at 7 pounds.
started to head back to the barn at 2 to find some really good bird life, and jigged a bunch of stripers and bluefish (all released today)as fast as the jigs hit the bottom you had a bass on. Alot of fun to finish out a cold day on the water. Pulled the boat back into the slip just as the sun was setting.

·
Registered
567 Posts
It was frigid & frosty day on the water today, but the fishing was good enough to keep things enjoyable.

However, I have to say that pulling the anchor today was not so enjoyable. I suggest that in the future if we are crazy enough to fish on a day with a high of 32 & a stiff North wind, we should bring a whole boat full of wreck anchors and anchor rope, so we can just cut them off and use a new one rather than have to handle a wet rope in those conditions. LOL j/k ;-)

As you mentioned, there is no doubt that with more crabs, we could have easily brought home a limit of tog. However, one of the main reasons I enjoy fishing with you and Johnny so much is that we are all on the same page with the fact that none of us EVER measures our success or the experience by the number of fish in the cooler at the end of the day. We brought home some quality fish while sending plenty of smaller ones back as seed for the next few seasons. My son & others will hopefully get to appreciate those releases years from now. [up]

The bass and blues were truly a blast, and we could have kept catching them non-stop for another hour or 2 if it wasn't for that numbing hawk from the North chilling our faces & fingers. The birdplay was straight out of a National Geographic film with gannets, bombing, terns dipping, and laughing gulls noisily wheeling and diving all around the boat. Seeing the fishfinder lit up like a Christmas tree was perfect for the Sunday before Christmas. Realizing that we were fortunate enough to enjoy that same kind of bird/bass action back in April will hopefully get me through the first 3 non-fishing months of 2012. [cool]

Thanks again Hammer & let's keep our fingers crossed that the forecast for warmer temps next week holds true. If the tmps do start to plummet, let me know & I'll come down to help you pull the "Reel Music" out for the year.

- Gr8ful

·
Registered
9,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Holy shit dan' s smiling in the second picture you almost made another year lol
OUCH thats not me thats Jimmy, sure hope I dont look that bad LOL

·
Registered
567 Posts
OUCH thats not me thats Jimmy, sure hope I dont look that bad LOL
Damn, now I feel like I was kicked in the nuts TWICE!

Once by On Point for mistaking me for a much older & more sour-faced angler & then by that same sour-faced geyser when he said he hopes he doesn't look as bad as me. [lol] :p

Next time, I am definitely going to be wearing my wool hat and fleece face mask [ninja] ... or, I am bringing along a young stunt double to stand in for me in all the pics. :D

Don't worry folks, I'll get a smile on camera from Hammer one of these days. If I can't get him to smile when I snap the pic, I'll use Photoshop to paste the smile from Joker onto his face before posting it. ;)

IMHO, it's impossible not to smile when a big tog is bulldogging you to try to get back into the rocks, and he's boucing the rod like he's trying to rip it out of your hands. I also find it impossible not to smile when we're hooked up with 3 bass at a time with fish and birds all around the boat. [up]

The funny thing is Hammer smiles all day long while catching fish, but he puts on his frowny face as soon as the camera comes out of its case. [eyeroll] I'll bet if I got a Go Pro video camera and took stills from a running video of one of our trips, I could post 5,000 pics of Hammer grinning ear-to-ear. [spy] HMMMMM????

- Gr8ful

1 - 8 of 8 Posts