New Jersey Hunters banner

21 - 40 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
Are they classified the same as firearms in NJ.
Airsoft's projectiles are plastic and therefore not classified as firearms in NJ. BB/pellet guns projectiles are metal and are therefore classified as firearms. At least that is how I understand it to be.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Bowhunter is correct.

Actually, a BB gun is technically an assault weapon (yes lol) under the pure definition of assault weapon since most have over 15 round capacity. There is actually a bill pending to take BB guns outside the definition of an assault weapon -- since thats CLEARLY not the intent of the legislature to call BB guns assault weapons.

But BB guns are, firearms, under NJ law. In fact, any pistol BB gun requires a pistol permit to purchase it in NJ.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Well Sunday dinner time we went across the street to the park with the Red Ryder
like the one in the Christmas movie
Hey Ralphie...

You'll Shoot Your Eye Out!

·
Registered
9,467 Posts
Airsoft's projectiles are plastic and therefore not classified as firearms in NJ. BB/pellet guns projectiles are metal and are therefore classified as firearms.
That's also why PaintBall Guns fall outside the Firearms laws, because of what they shoot.

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
Chefm70...Bloodtrails and I are correct. A FIDC is not required to purchase a handgun. A handgun permit issued from the town you live in is all that is required.

And yes BB guns are considered firearms and a FIDC is required to purchase one.

I may be wrong here but I do not believe I am, in NJ to purchase a "handgun BB gun" a pistol permit is required.

·
Registered
17,068 Posts
I went to the station today with what I thought was my permit for my hand gun (it wasn't) and was told that its the law to have a permit for this item. When I told him I wasn't aware of that for this item.
[confused]

2+2 doesn't seem to add up to 4, here! [spy]

IF story is true, bad judgement was used, to say the least. [smirk]

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
Sometimes I wonder why I turned out to be a law abiding citizen given my criminal background of shooting (at) birds when I was about 6 years old with real live BBs from my Daisey rifle, unsupervised by my parents who both had to work in the Butler Rubber Mill. I also played Cowboy's and Indian's, Cop's and Robber's and Army with toy guns across the street, in the woods (yes back then there were woods in Butler). I guess we teach our kids better today by letting them sit on their asses in front of a TV set playing video games like 'Grand Theft Auto'. What a disgrace.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Who let's their six year old run around in a park alone...with or without a bb gun? I have a hard enough time letting my 12 year old walk around town without me, never mind a 6 year old in a park with a bb gun.
Why would you come on and your third post be about letting your 6 year old run around with a bb gun?

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
Sorry, but this sounds like B.S. If it's true I apologize, but something smells fishy here.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
While I would like to think that it is still possible to get a 6 year old a bb gun, bring him out to a field and let him shoot at cans (supervised), I also think that letting the same child run around in an urban playground with the same bb gun is completely unacceptable.
If the intent was to teach a child safe gun handling, then this was nullified by allowing him to believe that it was a toy to be played with.

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
To the best of my knowledge, a "Red Ryder" was a long gun, not a handgun; making all of this moot. But it's been a while since I played with them!

·
Registered
3,824 Posts
Degladdens first two posts were on the "How do I contribute to NJH" thread. The third was this BB gun post. Pathetic. [down]

Same post twice.

I would like to contribute too. Just let me know how, paypal or something?
Ahhhhnnnnn......you have been disqualified.

·
Registered
15,483 Posts
issue of an idiot letting a 6 yr old run loose in a park with a firearm (yes, BB gun).
when i was 6 i played with BB guns, and so did most of us, on my 10th birthday i was given a pocket knife as a gift, and yes i carried it everywhere even to school, no harm done

its the rest of his story the bothers me, the mistaken ID card, and the squirt gun commet [confused]

21 - 40 of 65 Posts