New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I am new to this forum. I have been trying to find info all morning on NJ firearms laws. Here is why:
I have a 6 year old, Colin who loves to play guns. I came across one and purchased it for him to play with. No, there are no bb's included. Any way for 2 days it never left his side showing me the proper way to hold and carry it, reviewing the technique for shooting as well as the rules for never pointing it towards someone... Well Sunday dinner time we went across the street to the park with the Red Ryder and he was shooting all of the bad guys. All the kids were eyeing the beauty up. One father asks if it real and does it have BB's, I told him it was a toy with no BB's. He, his wife and 3 sons leave. The next thing I know 2 cop cars are driving across the grounds to the play area. They confiscate the "weapon" and bring my son to me. Ma'am is this your son, is this your weapon? I laughed and said it is my son and that is his toy gun, you know like the one in the Christmas movie. He said he had to take the weapon and I would have to contact the Chief on Tuesday to get it back. I asked whether he was aloud to play with his cap gun and he said you can't even take a water pistol off of your property. My son was so scared, thought he did something terrible.
I went to the station today with what I thought was my permit for my hand gun (it wasn't) and was told that its the law to have a permit for this item. When I told him I wasn't aware of that for this item. I was told that ignorance is no excuse. He then said that even if I had a permit that he didn't think I should have it back because I was negligent. I said okay I am ignorant and negligent but it won't happen again. He said I seemed to be an okay person and to fill out all of the forms he gave me but I have to be fingerprinted ($60.25) and it could take 6-8 weeks to process.
He told me not to give the gun back to my son until he was 18. I told him he wouldn't be interested then. He said well it is a collector's item. What the heck. What happen to boys being boys. What a sad state we are in. I admit maybe taking it to the playground wasn't one of my brightest ideas but why not just tell me to take it home and keep it there?
Any comments, suggestions?

·
Registered
14,824 Posts
Questions:

1. Was your son using the BB gun as a "toy" and pointing it at people? Was he handling it in an unsafe manner? Even BB guns need to be handled as safely as normal firearms.

2. How was it purchased?

3. "I went to the station today with what I thought was my permit for my hand gun " What was it?

·
Registered
9,204 Posts
It is sad!! The only part I don't get is why you had to be finger printed for a FID card if you were already expecting a handgun permit wich you can't get without having a valid FID card???[confused]

·
Registered
6,592 Posts
I wonder how many "real" crimes were occurring while they were busy busting you and your son's balls. It probably gave them a hard on to take that red rider from you guys. [down][sad] You should find out who the couple was that called and complained and call the cops on them next time they engage in any activity that you feel is "offensive" and scary to you just to give them a taste of what it's like. Politically correctness sucks.

·
Registered
4,710 Posts
first of all a BB gun is not a toy, not ever. Second, a squirt gun, the cop was way off base.

As far as six year old, I believe he can shoot with you, under your guidence, but not alone. The age for hunting is younger than 18 and I know you can shoot a shotgun at a range with an adult. The child isn't allowed to posses the fire arm.

I am not a lawyer so do not quote me, but look up the laws or get a Napen Book.

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
I would have to say be happy the chief is giving you the opportunity to fill out the paperwork for a FPID permitting you to get the "BB" gun back legally. Technically what your son was doing was illegal and he could have been charged with a crime. Use this as a learning experience.

I wonder how many "real" crimes were occurring while they were busy busting you and your son's balls.
This wasn't a real crime? A minor playing with a firearm in a play ground?

·
Registered
597 Posts
I can only hope you are a troll attempting to stir the pot for reasons unknown.
You "came across one" and "purchased it for him to play with"- incredible.
You don't display any common sence in allowing a six year old unlimited access to a bb gun- then expect a pass with a "boys will be boys" comment.
If I was in that playground with my children I would have asked you to take it away from your son while in a public area, and if you remained totally clueless - probably called the police and left like the other dad did.
How did you even know there were no bb's in the gun?
I know other states have less restrictions on air guns. But, with the modern improvements in air guns- I'm not sure they shouldn't be considered "weapons".
This Red Ryder may not be capable of death or serious bodily injury- plenty of air guns today are.
Twice in my childhood shotguns were pointed at me by kids who's parents weren't smart enough to know what thier kids were doing. Both times I heard the hammer drop, as a joke- luckily they were both empty. Yes, these little angel got flattened for their jokes both times. One's parents were even dopey enough to try and give my parents a bill for his broken nose- until they found out what really happened.
If your son was traumatized by the big bad police officer- you are the only person to blame.

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
It is sad!! The only part I don't get is why you had to be finger printed for a FID card if you were already expecting a handgun permit wich you can't get without having a valid FID card???

Regarding BB Guns, yes they are considered firearms and require a FIDC for purchase.

I must say though taking it to a public park was extremely bad judgement.

Regarding the "squirt gun" remark by the officer I would say he was simply making a point that in todays world and especially in the Northeast even a toy gun in a public place is inviting trouble, sorry as it may sound.

·
Registered
5,232 Posts
My son was so scared, thought he did something terrible
Gestapo tactics. NJ is already the 4th Reich when it comes to guns. The rest of the country isnt far behind. [down]

·
Registered
3,824 Posts
Something fishy here. Letting your 6 year old run around with a bb gun is really irresponsible. What town was it in?

·
Registered
50 Posts
too bad the cops didnt shoot the family dog then pistol whip the "mom" for being stupid.

I bet this troll is a chick with a d**k. Either that or way too dumb to even deserve getting the firearm back.

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
Letting your 6 year old run around with a bb gun is really irresponsible
I think they should have arrested the mom, and I use that word lightly, and made an example out of her.

·
Registered
6,592 Posts
I see the neighborhood kids playing with airsoft pistols all the time. Are they classified the same as firearms in NJ. Also , do the red ryder guns shoot actual BB's or plastic ones just to clear something up.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts