New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
15,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My father has an older Hoyt recurve. I want to start shooting it and possibly hunt with it next year.
I know it needs a new string but i was wondering if the bow is still in good shape. it was stored in the basement and looks to be ok. Where is a good place i could go to have the bow checked out to make sure its still good to go? Thanks guys.

·
Banned
8,011 Posts
scrub, do you have a digital camera? if so take some pic's and email them to me I'll look it over, But Randy @ Stick & string can help you better.

·
Registered
15,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mystic my digital is at home in PA I will try to bring it down to NJ and take pictures by the weekend.

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
Craig, I can recognize stress cracks, hairline fractures, delamination, etc.

Bring it by the shop, I can tell you if its ok to shoot or not.

By the way, was it stored "strung" or unstrung? Also, was it leaning on a limb tip or resting evenly on the riser. These things matter with traditional bows because they can warp/twist if not stored properly.

Just so you know, Im no expert when it comes to recurves, but I have dealt with them on a few occasions.

·
Registered
15,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey Matt
It was stored unstrung and it was on a rack my father had made out the legs of his first buck kill with the bow. I think its in pretty good shape but I'm no expert.

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
Well it sounds like its worth having a look at. If you want me to look at it you know where I am. If you feel better bringing it to someone else I fully understand.

·
Registered
15,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sure Matt Id like you to take a look at it. If you dont mind. I'll see if I can shoot it..I'm sure between you and mystic I'll know where I stand with the bow. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
15,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
yea mystic I'm not going to do anything to it for now, just have it looked at. I think the last time I shot a recurve I was probally 10 or 11 years old and in Boy Scouts.

·
Registered
15,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
yea they are real clear. I forgot what they are like a dumb [no swearing please] I'll check them out tonight and let you know tommorrow. Actually I will probally have the bow with me tomorrow.

·
Registered
15,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I know its a hoyt..

1 - 16 of 16 Posts