New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have not had much time, nor opportunity this year to prepare for the season. Normally everything is ready to go by the beginning of July. This year, not the case.

Anyways, I took my 13 year old brother to the range the other day to shoot his compound. It didn't even occur to me that he may have grown since February.

The draw length was way too short, so I'm gonna have to reset the whole bow up for him.

In the meantime, I had my recurve with me and asked if he wanted to shoot that. He did, so I let him shoot it.

He loved it, AND he was undoubtedly better than I am with it. Total natural, I just gave him a few pointers and he was off to the races!

He also had way more interest in shooting the recurve than he ever did with the compound.

So I'm wondering, is there a good recurve that is relatively cheap, that I could get for him? His draw length with the recurve is about 25" and even though the bow is about 40# at his draw, he would probably be better off around 35#.

I really couldn't get over how accurate he was with it. I asked him how he was "aiming" and he said he's not aiming, he's just focusing on the spot and hitting it. LOL...RIGHT ANSWER! I guess I did teach him something in all his time shooting a compound.

Anyways, I don't claim to know much about trad gear, just enough to get myself by, but never have I set up a younger person with a recurve, so I'm lost.

What length bows should I look at?
Any of them have smaller handles for his smaller hands? Youth models?

Should I let him hunt with it if he's shooting well?

·
Registered
18,010 Posts
Matty reach out to Jeff at Appalachian bows he's up your way he can set you up and has an attractive trade in program as the kid grows up and out of a bow. He builds a nice bow for kids was looking at them for the Doe and fawn myself at Denton Hill. He has a web site you might find this atractive to fit his needs.

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys.

I am still kind of in disbelief that he has more interest in the recurve than the compound. I guess it's the same thing that draws me to it. It's more about the challenge and just feels so much more...hmmm..I dunno...hard to explain. It just feels like hunting with a stick bow is the way we were meant to hunt animals. Sometimes when I'm holding a compound or a gun, I feel like I'm "cheating"....I know...crazy thoughts.

Anyways...thanks again, I'll start looking around.

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Mark, but I have him covered with the compound. The one he has is still within his range. I just have to adjust it and retune it with him.

Thanks though.[up][up]

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What would I need to bring? I don't have bowfishing gear.

Spent part of last night trying for hybrids or walleye on Hopatcong... boy was that boring. Can you promise more action than zero zip nadda? LOL

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.