New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought my first climber last week after checking out several stands and systems. I had used a hang-on previously.

Had my search narrowed down to two contenders based on price and reviews: The Gorilla and the Lone Wolf.

Price difference was about $200.

Saw an ITS at A&M in Lakewood for $225.

Similar system to Lone Wolf (climbing straps appeared more durable).

Apparantly the model I purchased had been discontinued due to a lawsuit by Lone Wolf (Patent infringement on climbing strap system).

Relatively easy to assemble even though the instructions were less than helpful. (This seems to be common among several hunting products)[smirk].

Very quiet, very comfy. Big octagonal platform and weighs about 20lbs.

·
Registered
6,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes - but the single strap is awkward. I'll improve with aftermarket.

·
Registered
6,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's a real comedy of errors getting used to a climber.

I've been practicing with it so I can hunt safely and efficiently.

The only tree big enough is in my front yard on a main road.

Every day I've been practicing the set up. I get the occasional looks from the neighbors. Adjusting the straps on the bottom only to have the top part crash on my head. DOH!

Its funny when they see me scaling this tree.

I took it up Saturday at Assumpink WMA.
The strap for packing is not too friendly - I'll figure this out soon enough. Hiking with 22lbs on your shoulder will limit your distance especially if the weight isn't distributed properly.

Picked out a suitable tree and began to set-up.
Took my time and made way too much noise assembling it.

It was a hot day - good thing I brought enough water.
I had to take a rest when I got to the tree.
Getting up the tree was still a comedy of errors.
Figured that keeping stuff like bino's and a knife on your belt will only add to confusion.

Bought a Hunter Safety System Vest. Its good and has enough pocket space for extras.

Got about 10 feet up and took a rest. Looked at my watch: 1 hour had passed since I left the truck!

Scaled up another five feet and was satisfied with my elevation. Then I realised: the tree I was in was at the lowest elevation in the grove! Any deer walking in would be at eye/nose/ear level with my lower half!

I go up another three feet and had decent cover but too much obstruction. Didn't feel like pruning and eyed up possible lanes.

Then the wind started blowing. Feels weird to sway in a tree with a quiver full of broadheads.

After a couple of hours and seeing one doe far away - I called it quits. The number of horses and gunshots in the distance didn't help as well as the pool of sweat I left at the base of the tree!

The climber is also a decent abdomine work-out: the girl notices this!

Aside from the uncomfortable packing feature - I'm impressed with the merits of the climber.

Practice, practice, practice.

·
Registered
7,954 Posts
Hey Paul,

I see you made it out Saturday. What happened with the tuna trip? If I knew you were going out, we could've hooked up. Give me a shout.

David

·
Registered
15,970 Posts
Pla,
I am pathetic in my climber First off I am not comfortable with the one I have. I bought a used summit viper a few years back and then I bought a discounted Summit New. Well I didnt like the new Climbers Top/seat ect.. so I tried to modify The New Climber with the used one . so after lofts of tinkering I now have the FRANKEN CLIMBER. And its worse that ever.I realy have to do some research and get a good reliable climber that I am comfortable with..

·
Registered
6,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey Paul,

I see you made it out Saturday. What happened with the tuna trip? If I knew you were going out, we could've hooked up. Give me a shout.

David
Sent you an e-mail. The tuna trip was cancelled early Saturday - that's why I didn't get an early start deer hunting.

·
Registered
6,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Scrubby, sorry to hear that your climber has morhed into a monster-garage project.

I shopped a long time looking for a lot of comments and info on climbers. I settled on the ITS only after comparing it to the Lone Wolf.

The only modification I'm making is back-pack straps.
Just ordered a set of Claw Treestand Carry Straps.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts