New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just read an article on realtree.com that said in Maine it is hard to draw a "coveted" antler-less tag because Maine is mostly a bucks only state. Just thought that was odd. Maybe the extreme cold winters keep the doe population in check? I don't know, but that just doesn't seem like practical herd management. Man, we really have some liberal bag limits/seasons here compared to other states. We may not have many P&Y bucks running around, but we sure have it good considering we can theoretically hunt from September 10th to February 15th or 16th or somehting. And the amount of public land accessable to us is amazing. Good ole NJ.

·
11,226 Posts
NJ has the highest deer density in the the whole country! There are more deer per square mile in NJ then anywhere else in America! We also have the highest human density as well! Go figure!!![confused]

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
Hunted and Fished Maine for years. Actually my uncle is headed there, I think in two weeks. We hunt the Matawnkeg area (spell check) its near Lincoln. However, Coyote have been destroying the herds for years, I've shot and seen Coyote all around the deer stand, I'm talking huge Coyote! One thing is certain, if you see a Buck it will be a Monster, because only the strong survive the Coyote up there. You can go years without seeing a live Whitetail. Also, huge Bears, Moose...and small game.

·
Super Moderator
7,895 Posts
I have hunted Maine for about 17 years now and had a doe tag about 12 of them! Maine is broken into zones with some zones offering thousands of permits where others offer a few hundred.Keep in mind that the northern half of maine is mostly forest.It is a big state. The northern zones are affected by tough winters and high winter kills. These tags are adjusted yearly as well as the other zones. NJ once had a lottery system too for permits. Now you can buy as many as you want! Now that seems like bad management!
Maine doesn't have a good/any kind of deer managemnet plan. I would like to see what the Buck to DOE count they have....
This is not accurate mystic.
Maine has a plan that produces very large bucks and does that weigh in excess of 150lbs! I have taken 2 bucks dressing over 200lbs and some does that pushed 140lbs. Here is the 05 allocations..And these where reduced compared to 04
2005 Maine Any-Deer Permit Allocations

District 1 0 permits District 16 6,300 permits
District 2 0 permits District 17 14,700 permits
District 3 0 permits District 18 375 permits
District 4 150 permits District 19 0 permits
District 5 250 permits District 20 4,425 permits
District 6 225 permits District 21 4,900 permits
District 7 675 permits District 22 6,000 permits
District 8 825 permits District 23 12,300 permits
District 9 400 permits District 24 3,300 permits
District 10 200 permits District 25 3,700 permits
District 11 150 permits District 26 3,775 permits
District 12 1,400 permits District 27 50 permits
District 13 1,950 permits District 28 0 permits
District 14 450 permits District 29 0 permits
District 15 3,625 permits District 30 600 permits

Total 70,725

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
Remember there is lots of tradition when it comes to hunting in some states. Look how long it took for Pennslyvania to allow inline muzzelloaders...

·
Super Moderator
7,895 Posts
Jersey has more deer then Maine
Not true Mystic. Yes you see more deer in NJ compared to Maine. Have you ever hunted in Maine? Night and day difference between the two.

Current management goals and objectives. Since 1986, we have been striving to increase the deer population to within 50 to 60% of the maximum number of deer the habitat can support in winter. This population would allow us to reach maximum sustained harvests, while remaining productive and reasonably available for wildlife viewing. This wintering population objective approximates 270,000 to 330,000 deer, or about 10 deer per sq mi, statewide. We set about fostering deer herd growth primarily by using the Any-Deer permit system to balance overall doe mortality with fawn production in each management district. At the outset, we had a long way to go in attaining this desired population, since the wintering herd averaged only 160,000 deer, in the early 1980's.

Current distribution. Since the early 1980's, the population has increased to 255,000 wintering deer. We have now met our population objectives in about 10 of our 30 Wildlife Management Districts (WMDs). As expected, we have been more successful in achieving deer populations in central and southern Maine, where wintering habitat and other factors were more favorable. We have been less successful in eastern and northern Maine in achieving meaningful herd increases. Today, deer abundance ranges from 2 to 5 deer per sq. mi in the north, to 15 to 25 deer per sq. mi in central and southern areas. Some locations, in which access to recreational deer hunters has been limited or denied entirely, support deer populations of 40 to 100 deer per sq. mi. These latter areas are substantially above desired population levels, and they are the focus of most deer/people conflicts in our state today.

Management challenges. Improving deer populations in Maine's northern and eastern timberlands will depend on our success in protecting and increasing current amounts of deer wintering habitat. In Maine's heavily developed southern and coastal regions, we will need to develop innovative approaches to safely increasing deer harvests in order to bring high current deer populations down to more tolerable levels. In all of Maine, we will need to improve access to huntable land through pro-active landowner relations programs in order to keep deer populations at tolerable levels.

·
Banned
8,011 Posts
I hope it works out then, I by all means don't mean to knock Maine in anyway and if it came out that way I'm sorry. I just beleave that you shouldn't only shoot bucks, That is one way to kill a herd.

I'll shut up now

·
Super Moderator
7,895 Posts
No reason to shut up mystic. We are just BS'n. Letting you know some information. Thats all.. :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts