New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to estimate cost for an elk or elk/deer combo hunt out west. Being I have limited time off my best bet would be flying. Guide, gear, tags and flight cost are pretty easy to research. Has anyone done one of these trips recently? If so how much to figure for tip, taxidermy and shipping meat + rack back? Any advice other than multiply by 2 cause the wife will then want her own vacation or a new kitchen [lol]

Thanks for the help

·
Registered
15,556 Posts
I am putting together a diy elk hunt for Colorado in 2017. Even without an outfitter budget 3000

·
Registered
15,556 Posts
You could easily spend 10k with an outfitter, airfare, taxidermy....

·
Premium Member
14,409 Posts
Are we talking Corian, Granite or wood counter tops?
Please define the KIND of Elk hunt you want to go on since some ranch hunts and some wilderness hunts can get very pricey as can some kitchen items.

When I went on my Mule deer hunt this past year there was a guy there that was a repeat hunter he goes there while his wife stays home with the 4 kids later on she goes to Vagus with her sister and he handles the kids he said it works well for both of them.

·
Registered
15,556 Posts
Good points ^

·
Registered
15,556 Posts
BTW if anyone is interested in the diy elk trip I am putting together for the 2017 season message me your email

·
Registered
8,475 Posts
Not sure... but some advise for you-
Bring back the cape to have mounted in jersey. If you don't you will have to pay to have a crate built and ship a huge box back with the mount inside and risk damage. Cheaper and safer to ship the skin frozen in dry ice and insulation straight to your taxidermist.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
The taxidermy work can be done at anytime after the hunt. Get the cape/hide tanned and you can wait a year or more for the mount. A few of my customers go on a diy hunt and are almost always successful. Elk/mule deer or antelope/mule deer combo. Guess they know the ins and outs pretty well.

·
Registered
15,556 Posts
Also a very good point ^

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm interested in a wilderness/free range hunt with guide. Not interested in a managed ranch. Still not decided hunting out of a tent camp or lodge

·
Premium Member
14,409 Posts
I'm interested in a wilderness/free range hunt with guide. Not interested in a managed ranch. Still not decided hunting out of a tent camp or lodge
If you want a wilderness hunt you have already decided against staying in a lodge just by default at least to my knowledge.

·
Registered
4,603 Posts
I just put in for my Elk tag for Wyoming. I am using Sleeping Indian Outfitters. 7 day hunt for Elk is 3500. The tags are pretty expensive since I'm a non-resident. In the end I figure I'll be spending close to 6k minus the taxidermy and shipping costs for the meat.

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
I went to Harrisburg last year and talked to a lot of venders. They averaged 3-6 grand depending on services. I had the intention of guided since I didn't want to make such a trip without knowing what I'm doing. But if you take that added with transportation and taxidermy, easy 5-10 grand, with more emphasis on the 10 grand.

Not sure if I wanna drop that kind of money. YeAh I could do self guided state land for a lot cheaper, but would prob end up spending a lot of money on just getting lost somewhere.

So start with how much you would want to spend, and if you could build a hunt in that budget that you think you'd be satisfied with.

·
Registered
497 Posts
I just put in for my Elk tag for Wyoming. I am using Sleeping Indian Outfitters. 7 day hunt for Elk is 3500. The tags are pretty expensive since I'm a non-resident. In the end I figure I'll be spending close to 6k minus the taxidermy and shipping costs for the meat.
We need to meet up, I fly home with my meat :) Ship the clothes the slow way home. I have a fairly good system.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
If you want a wilderness hunt you have already decided against staying in a lodge just by default at least to my knowledge
I saw a couple different options on-line, some you stay at the lodge and trek each day into the wilderness, others you pack-in to a cabin or tent camp and trek each day from there. As long as its not
a fenced property or managed ranch I'll be happy. I'd prefer spot and stalk, some places I looked at mentioned that they go back to camp for a lunch break which I'm not into. I'd much rather go dark to dark if the weather isn't unbearable.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts