New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've heard putting a raw egg in the dogs food is good for their coat, anyone do this? Thnaks

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
I've given my dog raw meat on occassion but haven't heard anything about raw eggs.[confused] Like anything, it would have to be slowly worked into their diet but as far as it being safe to eat I have no idea.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Raw eggs can carry salmonella, your better off cooking them if you want to add eggs. Todays dog foods are of high quality, so nothing should need to be added unless your dog has a specific need.

·
Registered
17,891 Posts
I give my dog raw chicken, deer, turkey, egg, etc. A dog's digestive system is vastly different from that of a dog's. They can handle almost anything including SHIT! He's only been sick twice, and that has been from eating another dogs poop that carried parasites. Curb your dog!

Here's a link on raw diets for dogs. This guy is great! http://leerburg.com/pdf/feedingrawdiet.pdf
I'm awaiting shipment today on some items I ordered from Leerburg.

·
Registered
5,054 Posts
The BARF diet for dogs (Benefit of Raw Food) is frowned upon by many vets. A good quality kibble is better because a bit of science has gone into its creation and it's stable.

Cancer is still the number one killer of dogs and you're better off getting cooked fish into your dog's diet. Omega-3 and Omega-6 oils are healthier for the dog. A can of mackeral or sardines once a week isn't a bad idea. I have yet to find a dog that didn't like fish.

·
Super Moderator
12,370 Posts
how about corn oil...we use it for horses here and it makes them have less dandruff and a shiny healthy coat. not sure if it will work for dogs tho?

·
Registered
142 Posts
I used to put a raw egg in my collie mix's food.
Mostly in the winter since he was an outside dog. He ate scraps and anything left over in the fridge.

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
My Dog gets whats leftover from supper, mixed with a little bit of dogfood. She is fifteen and still pretty healthy.

·
Registered
18,010 Posts
My dog is feed Holisticly but an egg in the morning raw when shes going to hunt hard. Oil in her food helps with coat but the holistic is good for her and some raw deer meat perioudically.

·
Registered
172 Posts
My dog has been eating a raw egg a few times a week for the last 10 years, and is in excellent shape, you never know he was 12 years old. And rarely ever needs to see a vet.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
My lab gets a table spoon of peanut butter every day or so and really does wonders for her coat. Told the vet and she told me that it is a lil dog show trick to make labs shiny for shows.P.S. she LOVES PB

1 - 20 of 30 Posts