New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
could not get out today, i am going out monday afternoon. IS IT TOO EARLY TO RATTLE?...i have a few good size trees with some fresh rubs..seems like a decent buck in the area. although last two times out did not see any deer.

·
Registered
5,435 Posts
Very effective at this time as the big bucks are becoming more agressive with each day.

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
Try it, it works! Ive rattled in several deer over the years. The key is knowing when to rattle, and how to rattle. A short loud battle with lots of ground pounding, leaves rustling, and limb breaking is what works for me. Also, morning rattling is often more productive.

Ive even rattled in does. They can be just as curious as bucks sometimes.

The older mature bucks dont always come right in, but rather circle you downwind, so scent control is a must. Also, if nothing responds right away, dont let your guard down. Ive had bucks watch from a 100 yards away or more for over an hour. Waiting to get a glimpse of the fighters. If its thick, they may go un-noticed, but they will probably notice you, because they are looking for the other "deer".

In the past few years, Ive learned that using the grunt-snort-wheeze on those "on-lookers" is killer if they are dominant. If they arent, they will tuck tail and run. If you dont know what the grunt snort wheeze is, its basically what it says it is. Its a deep grunt followed quickly by a short low snort, and a drawn out wheezing sound. This sound basically means; "I see you (or smell/hear you), and I dont like you. If you dont leave...IM GONNA KICK YOUR ARSE!!!!!!
[up]

1 - 9 of 9 Posts