New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did anyone see on the news the boat accident? A tug and barge hit a 25-30 foot fishing boat in Raritan Bay. I have fished that bay quite a bit and many large boats, bigger than a barge, like tankers come through everyday. My question is, why didn't the boat move? If they have their navigation lights on, they should of had time to move. Fortunately, no one has died.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
I heard about it this morning. [sad][mad]

The private vessel operator with the fishing boat was most likely in the middle of the channel and failed to move out of shear stupidity - Fines will most likely include:

Blocking the path of navigation of a vessel underway[mad];
Failure to yield to a vessel under tow[mad];
Failure to have a lookout[mad],
Failure to communicate by radio &/or visual or audible signal[mad], etc... And the list goes on!!!

Many times at the Hook, I've seen fishing private vessels, fishing in the channel directly in the path of a tug w/barge under tow / ocean freighter, wait until the last minute to move out of the commercial vessels way.[mad]

These private vessel idiots are too damned stupid to realize that these ships have limited manueveurability while under way in the channels approaching the bay, and they cannot "stop on a dime" when these jerks refuse to get out of their path.[mad]

Also, due to the tugs and freighters sizes, it is sometimes hard to judge just how fast these vessels are actually approaching, and private vessel operators usually tend to underestimate the ETA of the impact of the two vessels.

Usually while fishing around the channels of Raritan Bay and Sandy Hook during the day and/or night, the ship captains will flash a spotlight at the private/charter/party boats in the channels or give a few blasts of the horn to give them well advance and fair warning that the private boats are getting too close and that they are in their path/right of way.[up]

I can't wait to sea the Coast Guard Final Findings on this one!!!

·
Registered
8,694 Posts
There are soo many large commercial vessels (tankers, container ships, tugs with barges in tow, etc) that enter the sandyhook bay raritan bay area. Your are almost guranteed to see at least one while you are fishing. When you see one of these larger vessels heading your way you had better move because they arent going to stop. It is amazing when you see some knuckleheads waiting til the last minute to move out of the way of these ships. Is a fluke really worth losing your life?

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I liked how the news reported that the pilot of the tug and barge were getting drug and alcohol tested indicating the accident was their fault. I know the test have to be done, but the wording of the report. I don't want people who don't normally go out on the water thinking that these big boat captains are reckless.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts