New Jersey Hunters banner

Random No Hunting/Posted Signs

7K views 19 replies 11 participants last post by  Spltlim 
#1 ·
The other day I was hiking/scouting a area of land in the Rockaway River WMA. I came across a couple of No Hunting/Posted signs on a tree.

According to the NJ F&G map... and the local tax maps (more up-to-date)... those signs should not be there. Frustrating... I am gonna head to the local tax collector's office again just to be sure.

[mad]

#2 ·
I have noticed signs like that too in the new area of Hamburg Mountain WMA. I think they just post the WMA diamonds and leave the old posted signs. I also think I read somewhere that posted signs have to be dated yearly to be valid also. But I could be wrong.

#5 ·
I also think I read somewhere that posted signs have to be dated yearly to be valid also.
Landowners do not have to post their property, it is incumbent upon the hunter to find out who ownes the property and get permission to hunt it, sign or not.

#6 ·
When I was in a game club we had to re-post all the properties each year. I do know that it is up to the hunter to know where he is. There was too many people tearing down posters and saying I didn't know this was private property. That doesn't fly anymore!

#7 ·
Trying to preserve the "privacy" of private property is very difficult in this state. Along with my brother and Uncle, we were the only ones with permission to hunt and fish some property a few years back. I couldnt begin to count the amount of people we had to throw off. We'd nail posted signs to treestands, leave notes on vehicles, etc. Its rediculous. My uncle owns a very small portion of land, nevertheless, people are ALWAYS trespassing on it to get to the good hunting land. No respect.

As far as posting WMA land....sometimes they are old signs, the division workers dont always get em all down. Sometimes its some ninny, that thinks hes a wise-guy and posts his spot. Ive seen it plenty of times. Thats why I carry a map in a plastic sleeve clearly showing the boundaries, for every WMA I hunt. How can they argue with boundaries on a map? Havent had any problems yet...but Im prepared. I say if there are signs clearly out of place, call the division and show them where. Maybe they can get the dim-wit in trouble. If they wont come out to do anything about it, rip em down.

We gotta get more Game Wardens to catch these people...and we have to report it when we see it.....they give us a black eye.

#8 ·
The other day I was hiking/scouting a area of land in the Rockaway River WMA. I came across a couple of No Hunting/Posted signs on a tree.
I've seen the same thing done done on some creeks in south jersey. Locals will post public land with a fictisious name to keep others off and then use the land themselves. Check the tax maps and you'll see what land is private and what is public.

#9 ·
I hunt Black River WMA and for years the neighbor has posted his land. This year the same but, I also noticed posted signs about 70 yds from where they have always been. Also these signs are of cheap paper, not the same as the rest of his property,The writting and even the name spelling doesn't match also I can see his reg. signs 70 yds from these false ones. And a few are clearly on state land as I've been hunting this piece alooong time.

G
#12 ·
The area I have hunted for the past 9 years I never saw signs, then this year 2 weeks before shotgun season I see signs that said "SAFTY ZONE NO HUNTING" then on opening day I saw a hunter hunting 50 yards behind the signs, I will question him this year if I see him, he put them up.

#13 ·
The area I have hunted for the past 9 years I never saw signs, then this year 2 weeks before shotgun season I see signs that said "SAFTY ZONE NO HUNTING" then on opening day I saw a hunter hunting 50 yards behind the signs, I will question him this year if I see him, he put them up.
If he put them up, and it's his house, or he has permission from the homeowner of the dwelling making it a safety zone, he is legal.

Speaking of Black River jerseyhunter, I was up there for a week in the middle of February and saw quite a few deer, on the WMA, in plenty of daylight. Was the season still open in that zone?

The deer were in those long narrow fields just off the right side of the entrance to the archery/shotgun range, feeding down near the ends of the fields. There were between 9 and 14, depending on which day it was. The day that snow shower came through (the 17th I think), there was 14 of them feeding out there, spread out in 3 of those fields as early as 3:00pm.

#15 ·
I repost my club every couple of years, but my name is on the sign, not the club's name. Haven't had many problems with tresspassers except for the occasional group of local snow mobilers, ATVs, and sledders who use our hill near the road to sled down in the snow. They are 300 yds. from my treestand, but I have to get down and chase them off for safety reasons, of course.

In my other hunting club, we actually had another hunting club post our property with their signs and cut our land in half on one of our leased properties. Out came our survey maps and some of our club members had to heavily repost our property and tear down the other clubs signs.

Also, to enforce tressp [no swearing please] laws, especially in Hunterdon County, unless you have a property survey map, the judge will dismiss the case. You, the land owner/leasee, must prove that the perp was actually tresspassing within the confines of your surveyed property line!!!!!

What's wrong with this picture?!?!?!??!

Welcome to NJ!!!

Also, I work with a Deputy Game Warden who is assigned to the Northern Area - Concerning Hunter harassment - She told me that to enforce anti-hunter harrassment laws, you must have a police officer or game warden catch the person in the act or have pictures/video tape, otherwise the law is almost impossible to enforce.

G
#16 ·
I hunt on Federal lands, and no one has the right to put up anytype of sign, weather its "POSTED NO TRESSPASSING" or "SAFTY ZONE", on public grounds, its up to the state, federal, county, city who owns and maintains the lands to put up such signs. Plus safty zone signs are white background with red lettering, the ones this guy put up was green background, with black lettering

#20 ·
The state uses 2 types of signs...Red with black letters also the green and white tyveck signs...There is no problem with a home owner posting his safety zone if his house backs up to state land...most home owners strech the 450'...Its entirely up to the hunter to ensure that he is 450' from any dwelling.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.