New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7,170 Posts
Scout your spots early and set up a ground blind the day before. Get in about 40 minutes before sunup, set up your decoys aboiut 15 yards out and sip your hot chocolate inside the blind. The kids will be dry and comfy, and the birds will hit the fields looking for worms that got flooded out. You'll still bag that bird[up]

·
Registered
503 Posts
MTH I did just that yesterday. I know where the birds have been recently, so my son and I went in and set up a blind on the edge of a green field. We'll be in early and hope things work out as well as they did last year.

·
Registered
7,170 Posts
I'm not going out this youth day,(my daughter's 17 now) but we did that every year. The farm in andover has a resident flock that roosts on a particular hill. They always hit the nearby fields in the morning. We just set up the ground blind the day before where we find new tracks in the field, and show up before sun up. Lots of times the Tom's would pitch off the trees on top of the hill and fly down right in the field in between the decoys. But even when they don't, eventually they show up. A D.S. with the sound off often helps pass the time for the kids too. Just make the experience as fun as possible.

And yes they will still be gobbling in the rain

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.