New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have good results with Rage broadheads? I having been reading reviews that they are problem when they hit any bone.

·
Registered
13,448 Posts
Some guys swear by Rage and others hate them.
Any Sharp broadhead in the kill zone drops a Deer quickly.

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
I switched to them last year. i shoot the 2 blade type. i keep my shots under 30 yards. 3 deer last year with them Blood trails are awesome. Any well placed shot with any broadhead will get the job done. practice with the practice tip they give you. They fly great out of my bow. Give them a try and be open minded. They are not cheap and are basically a 1 shot head.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Parker - Is that true it's a 1 shot head, or just depends on how / what it hits? Last year I was able to take 2 deer with my spitfires and still good for one more. The spit's are great, just want to get away from the bands.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
One shot broadhead and stay away from bone or you will spend the next two days looking for a deer like I did (and a lot more people on here). [wallmad]

I went back to Thunderheads. [up]

·
Registered
14,787 Posts
One shot broadhead and stay away from bone or you will spend the next two days looking for a deer like I did (and a lot more people on here).
Well, said. I have a post from last year and I just don't know who to link it to here. I shot a nice big eight in the shoulder with the rage, my fualt I thought I had hit him through both lungs. Did not get him(Rage failed to open or penetrate the bone) but stayed after him for over two weeks and took him out with my fixed blade. As stated above, the rage in the cage will do the job but not every arroe goes in the cage and I don't care how mush you shoot. Stick with fixed blased they go through bone for those days you are not as good as we think we are;)

Shoot Straight!

·
Banned
5,494 Posts
I had the Rage head not open on me last year too. And I was thinking about going to fixed heads myself. Any recommendations?

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
Shot three deer with them last year. Two deer dropped within 20 yards with a huge entry hole and could see the blood coming out.
Third deer I shot I hit the deer in the space just before the back leg. Watched the blood come out and the deer dropped 50 yards away. Waited an hour and got down. When I walked up to the deer he got up an ran. Came back the next morning and searched for 5 hours in a thick swamp and couldnt find anything. It was also a steady down pour all night.
Practice, practice, practice.

·
Registered
14,787 Posts
I fell like a numbnut for all the hype of the rage. I did kill two big bucks but no pass throughs.

I went back to my 100 grain Wasp SST hammersd. They have never let me down[up][up]

Shoot Straight!

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
was thinking about going to fixed heads myself. Any recommendations?
Cabela's super mini lazer[up][up][up]. You get 6 for $23, they are razor sharp and indestructable. They have never failed me after taking dozens of deer. They almost always stay intact after hitting bone.

·
Registered
15,556 Posts
I used the rage for a season and also did not get a complete pass through but I did get a blood trail a blind man could follow. Rage has made some enhancements for 09. They have new heads for 09 called the Rage 40ke. It's designed to give better penetration especially for people who shoot light poundage. The trade off is that you only get a 1.5 inch cutting swath instead of the original 2 inch cut. My overall impression of the Rage was positive but I don't think it performs well on bone you are better off aiming a few ribs back from the shoulder with this head. I have heard numerous people losing deer on shoulder shots with this head. One head I would really suggest for someone that prefers a mechanical would be the Rocky Mountain Snyper. This head really penetrates well. Hope this helps. If you are going to shoot a fixed head I would suggest the slick tricks or Rocket steel. thunderheads are also excellent. G5 strikers also can't be beat and their new striker magnum sports a 1.5 inch diameter hole with a fixed head that's unheard of.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Wow. Sounds like enough feedback for me to pass on them. I will try one more year with the spitfires, and maybe go back to old faithful muzzy's.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
what i meant by a 1 shot blade is that I don't think replacing or sharpening them is too much of an option. Shot placement is the key to bowhunting. Ture a muzzy or Thunderhead may punch thru a shoulder blade better than a Rage. But a Rage will leave you a better Blood trail on a Liver shot. However as Bow hunters we should try to stay away from these shots no matter what type of Broadhead you are using.
I think you can argue till the end of time about equipment. whats next lets talk about whisker bisquits It is up to the end user on what they prefer

·
Registered
292 Posts
Its all shot placement, killed and lost deer with both mech. and fixed. i like the rage because it gives me a huge wound for the shots that aren't exactly textbook. i hate long track jobs, they always run away from the truck.

·
Registered
4,127 Posts
Like said before itsall shot placement a well placed shot with just about anything sharp will drop a deer within 50 or so yards. I started shooting the rage and have taken 3 deer with them. 2 pass throughs and one where my arrow snapped in half. The pass throughs were well placed shots behind the shoulder and the blood trail in the october leafs was just as easy to follow as it is on a freshly snowed shotgun hunt. The deer the arrow did not pss through was a rage 3 blade the deer was a big bodied 5 point and was quartering away a little more than i anticipated and I shot a little to far up going through both shoulders the back leg was more infront and the leg that was visible to me was normal well end a long story short the 3 blade went through the first shoulder and then poked a hole in the opposite shoulder but did not blow through blood trail was average and I recovered the deer about 100 yards away The shot was 23yards my bow was at 60# with carbon express weight foreward arrows.. I only shoot the 2 blades now they fly nice also out of my bow but some people are going to like them some arnt your safest bet is a fixed blade like said before or you could try rages new 40 ke broadheads if your worried about penetration.

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
lets talk about whisker bisquits
Please don't, they suck!
Suck BIG TIME But . I love the Rage 2 blade. I have shot a lot of deer and have only had one not pass through and that hit the exit shoulder. I shoot 70 lbs 27" 2117 logs if that matters.

I love the rage and I dont care if they are only one shot head. I agree they are a one time head but does not matter to me.

Shoot what ever makes you happy and what you have faith in [up]

1 - 20 of 75 Posts