New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do i get rid of a raccoon that won't go into a trap? Tried to call animal rescue but, they will only put me on a list to give me a have a heart trap and now i am not haviong a heart for this guy anymore. He sleeps in a hole in the tree in my backyard about 15 feet up and is out during daytime hours so he might be rabid. He sleeps with just his head sticking out of the hole. I tried putting all kinds of food out in the trap for hiom but, he won't go in.

·
Registered
17,538 Posts
He is a she there should be babies in the hole now. Give here some time she will leave when the babys are big enough. Where you located. I have a trap if you need to borrow it.

·
Registered
5,952 Posts
If you tell animal control that the animal may be rabid....and describe behavior that supports your contention....then it represents a 'public health' issue...and they have to respond quicker than putting you on a list for a havahart trap....

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
Try some chicken nuggets in your trap. That will lure the Raccoon into the trap.

·
Registered
7,946 Posts
Medium size havahart with the one door open and the one door closed. Put full can of tuna fish in far back corner below closed door. Guarantee you'll have him the next morning. BUT like catfish said, if its a female with babies you dont want to orphan a whole litter, maybe put a football helmet on and put a ladder against the tree where it lives and take a peak if its a nest or not. haha Good luck!

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
I had a friend who used to trap racoons, by hanging a fishing lure in the back of the trap (something like a metal spoon, hooks removed).. the curiosity of the racoon gets it trapped. I would bet a small LED type light in the back of the trap would work well too...... no bait avoids trapping other critters.

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
gkurilla has a good idea. Racoons are naturally curious. If you put a shiny object in a hole with a snare that will catch their hand when they remove it, you might have a chance to catch him. Or you could just make sure your neighbors aren't home, and blast him with a bb gun when he pokes his head out of his tree.

·
Registered
5,875 Posts
Try using marshmallows as bait in the trap. The other baits mentioned will work but they also catch cats, skunks, and opposums. If it has been trapped before and is trap shy you may have to conceal the trap some to get it to go in.

·
Registered
5,875 Posts
One other thing you may not be aware of, raccoons are a rabies vector species and can not be relocated so be prepared to euthanize it before you trap it.

·
Registered
9,204 Posts
If you really believe there is a rabid creature living in your yard I would suggest not caling or telling anyone anything just "handling" it yourself and be done with it...

·
Registered
16,173 Posts
He sleeps with just his head sticking out of the hole.
Long pole with a loop,and yank till loop tightens.
Long pole with appropriate tip.

He sleeps in a hole in the tree in my backyard about 15 feet up
Sounds like a gimme with a flu-flu. (Depending on what's behind it and how far).

Disclaimer:
However I do not condone such acts, only answering your question.[smoke]

also if you can hold out till next season when the fur is prime it may prove profitable.[patcheye]

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
sounds like a question for the trapping section.....lol
Put some sardines packed in oil in the trap close the spread a lil bait around the trap and give it a day or 2, See if it is interested in the food. If it is it will roll your trap around trying to get the food.

·
Registered
5,415 Posts
were did he go? :D

it just walked off right.[spy]

1 - 19 of 19 Posts