New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
15,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I am quiting smoking. I have tried several times before but I think this is the last time. I got sick this past Sunday and usually I would smoke right through.Hacking and weezing away. This time I decided I wasnt going to smoke and I actually felt better faster.So come Tuesday when I could have had a smoke with out much problem I didnt. Same thing Wed,and now today. I really do think I can beat it this time. I was a pretty heavy smoker and the cravings were real bad, but so far so good this time.
Well thanks for listening guys I may give updates from time to time to help keep me from jumping off the wagon.

·
Super Moderator
7,895 Posts
Scrubby....You can do it..But you have to be serious. I quit 3-1-04 and feel great! Sense of smell is back and the hacking cough is gone! I wanted to buy a new boat. The wife told me to quit smoking and you could afford it..$50 bucks a week = $200 a month for the boat! Well I shocked her! 16 years of smoking 2 packs a day..
When I decided to quit I bought the patches and 10 big bags of life savers. The first 4 weeks were tough but I managed. After about 8 weeks the hard urges were gone. I am smoke free now... When I tried to quit before I would always say "well I'll just keep 2 cigerettes around just in case..I would smoke them and say well maybe I'll have 2 more after this..Don't do this..Get rid of your lighters, your cigerttes, your ashtrays. These dam things are addictive and if you know you have them around you try and smoke them.

Good luck, be strong.

·
Registered
15,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys,
Joe I know exactly what you're saying I smoke away at least 50 bucks a week.I have to do this cold turkey though I have tried the patch nicogums and I was even on Welabutrin. Nothing has worked. This time being sick was actually a blessing in disguise. right now its been 5 days and so far so good. I have not gone 1 day with out smoking since basic training. And besides my health the money is a huge motivation just thinking about what I'm gonna buy with an extra 200 bucks a month.:D

·
Registered
5,451 Posts
Good luck! I am trying to also not very easy but I have cut down.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Good luck to all.

I'm an "expert" at quitting smoking...I've quit about ten times in the past 20+ years!!! :D

...Even made it for 3 years once, but each time after it got harder and harder to do...And I got meaner, and meaner during the first three months...Every little thing would tick me off.

So now I continue to smoke, in fear of what damage I would do to someone who ticked me off in the first three months of quiting!!! :D

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
Good luck guys

·
Registered
8,475 Posts
the key is to keep your hands busy...my father had the same problem you all have/had, what he did was carry a 2" bolt with a nut attached, when he sat down while everyone around him had a cigarette, he just rolled the nut up and down the bolt.. it kept him busy and he didnt desire the smoke anymroe. TRY IT, might help you out.[up]

·
Registered
90 Posts
Went cold turkey 20 yrs.ago,never looked back.Gotta ask your self,do i want to live longer or die younger?Won't give you my age but i don't have any problem climbing those hills and mts.Good luck guys,tough road ahead trying to quit.Don't give up.[up]

·
Banned
3,206 Posts
C'mon Griz... You don't have to be shy about your age with us, we all know that you're as fit as a non-smoking 35 year old. Heck I probably wouldn't want to try to keep up with ya.

·
Banned
3,206 Posts
I meant to ask you Griz. how long did you smoke before you quit?

·
Registered
90 Posts
LOL,good one DBUCK,ya almost got me.Started about 12yrs.old that was a bunch of yrs. ago.I'll honestly tell ya you do feel one hell of a difference in about 2 yrs.Can't stand to smell the stuff now.Have a little bear on the dash of my truck holding a sign that says thank you for not smoking.Tell all my friend there's plenty of room in the bed if ya gotta smoke.I'll open the slider so we can talk.:D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts