New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well last night i went out on a boat out of barnaget light thinking i was going to have some fun catching some good size blues. After an hour ride out to sea I started getting some hits as soon as i dropped my line in, but couldnt land anything using my size 5 bluefish hook. So after i switched to a size 2 high low rig i started pulling in alot of fish. The thing was, they were all under 2 lbs.[confused][confused] The pool winner weighted 1 lb 10 oz. Does anyone know why they are so small so far out? i went on the same boat maybe a month ago to the same place and we were getting 10 or 12 lb fish. [confused][confused][confused]

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Or even where the heck the big ones are?:D
Thanks, Kevin

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
The small ones are the good eating if ur goin to eat them...I personally hate bluefish but if u were to keep blues thats what u should keep.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
it was still a fun night i caught 13. and i do think the small ones are better eating. I just wish i brought ultra light:D

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
they were slammin the big blues up till about a week ago...believ they are on the spawn now...should pick up again soon with the big fish

·
Registered
331 Posts
sometimes you just hit a school of small ones, from my experience whenever you hit a school of blues they all tend to be pretty close in size

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
Late July into mid August...blues seem to take time off and spawn. As another poster mentioned, the small blues are the best to catch for eating. I used to troll umbrella rigs up and down the LBI coast and IBSP coastline in early September and load up on small blues. Sometimes 3 on a rig at once. Small ones were the tastiest.

·
Registered
331 Posts
anybody been gettin the blues in the bays at all, Tuckerton area to be specific

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
heard they are comin back..gettin some bigger ones here and there 5-13lb
Thats good to hear[up]looking foward to the fight

1 - 13 of 13 Posts