New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I shot a deer wit the inline this year but i would really love to get one with the old hawken...i took it to the range yesterday and shot it..at 50 yards it is way off..at 30 yards its dead on...patch and round ball shot terrible but buffalo bullets were ok...i have a peep sight on and and tried adjustng it accordingly but it still wasnt shooting very accurate...any ideas???

max

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
Did you take a good look at the patch after you shot. It could tell you a lot

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
El Jefe wold you mind explaining a little more..im fairly new to the whole muzzleloader thing..

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
Look at the patch and see if its burn all around, maybe you are not getting complete powder burn. See if the grove markings are uniformely all around the patch. Try different charges (grams) are the balls going down real easy with the patch. Try different things and keep a record of what you did on every shot.
I'm sure there are more experience guys on her that could help you out.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you very much EL Jefe..ill make sure i make note of that next time i hit the range..

max

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Keep records: This is invaluable to what your doing.

Mark your ramrod: Each load will be different. 80 gr. to 100gr. different depth. Make sure to mark.

Cool and clean your bore: All metal expands and contracts with heat. Start with a clean bore shoot three rounds, clean and repeat.

Try different powders: They all burn different.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wildwork...thank you for the info..out of curiosity have you had better luck with patch and round ball or buffalo bullets out of the hawken?

thanks max

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
I forget the twist rate for a TC Hawken, but I believe it isn't designed for round balls, most r.b. barrels are longer and have a slower twist.
You have to be careful not to distort the ball when loading, too thick a patch will load hard.
There's an excellent black powder shop around Allentown, Pa. area. They have everything imaginable for B.P.
Dixon's
Dixon Muzzleloading Shop, Inc.
9952 Kunkels Mill Road
Kempton, PA 19529
610-756-6271

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
I have an pre-1985 T/C Renegade in 50 cal. I always shot 300 gr. Maxiballs. Never liked the idea of shoot in a round ball out of a rifle barrel. My g-pop shot them all the time with good results. Remember you don't have to shoot the max. powder to get good results. Start feeding it light and work your way up till it gets flying funny. The Maxiballs are equal to the buffalo bullet.

Ryan

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yea i was shooting 90 grains the other night and the buffalo bullets were doing ok compared to the roundball but i would still never take a shot at 50 yards with it the way it was shooting...will say dropping the amount of power down to 80 grains make a considerable difference?

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
If they are just flying all over it's not the bullet. It's the process of loading it. I would check to see if the bullet is seated properly. Any gap will change the pressures. The different loads will change how deep the bullet seats.

Ryan

·
Registered
289 Posts
Houdawgg nailed it round balls are ment for 1 in 72 twist the hawken is around 1 in 34 .Try the T/C maxi hunter I shoot them out of my 54 cal hawken with 100 grains of FFF no problem out to 100 yards.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Each gun is different also, I have a T/C Omega and a T/C Treehawk. I shoot 100 grains of pellets with 300 grain teflon tip hornadays from the Omega. I shoot 50 grains of pyrodex powder, and 300 grain buffalo's with the Treehawk. They are both zeroed in at 50 yds. I think you should definetly try changing powder charges. But i'd take 3 or 4 shots of each before changing. Good Luck

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks alot guys...wildwork the shots seem to be hitting all over...i know the round was seated fine becasue i have a marking on the ramrod for 90 grains..i will make a call this weekend..

thanks again guys

max

·
Registered
542 Posts
You have to play with different loads and bullet combinations to see what shoot the best out of your rifle. My TC hawkins is a 1 in 48 twist. It has shot a few thousand rounds and my best combo.70gr of pryrodex and maxie balls. It also has harvest alot of deer.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.