New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have always been a fanatic with cleaning my MZ.I only fired two shots thru it this year.Did my normal cleaning.#13,brush and tons of patches.Came up spotless and Ran dry patches till they were clean.I normally let it sit a few days run another patch and put a little oil on a patch and coat it.When I pulled my patch it was light brown.Never had rust before.So I rebrushed it re ran patches and ioled it again. The rust wont stop forming.This gun was shot very little cleaned very well always.Do blued barrels eventually just form light rust no matter what you do with a MZ?It was also kept in a room with constant temp.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
There has to be residue of some rust left in order for it to be coming back after being oiled. You can using bore butter but that will still just be covering up the problem.

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
Are you using the T17 cleaner? I coat the inside and outside of mine with bore butter and use a lot for the inside.

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
My opinion only based on decades of shooting MZ's. Bore butter is about as bad as it gets with regard to bore protection, it will eventually cause rust to form after long term storage as it dries up and cakes, also a real bitch to completely clean out prior to using the weapon. It is good to lube patches and conicals only. Use good quality synthetic gun oil for the metal inside and out.

You will always get some residue, don't sweat it.

This is my cleaning procedure and it applies to 777 also being it is water soluable. I basically use cold tap water to clean the bore. I plug up the touch-hole or in your case the breech plug hole where the primer goes, fill the bore about half way, cover the muzzle with my finger and turn the barrel upside down a few times and let sit for a few minutes, dump, followed up with a couple of dry patches, repeat, follow up with some alcohol down the bore, swish around and dump, run a few patches to dry, one lubed patch and you’re done. Takes me about 10 minutes, never had an issue.

Do not use hot water is causes flash rusting.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts