New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently I have read article in American Hunterabout federal law for hunting baited areas. It is confusing me.
Is corn field or other crop field not cut down consider baited area?
After harvesting corn or other crops it is still baiting area? Could somebody explain those rules. Thanks

·
Registered
6,299 Posts
grain dropped as a direct result of normal agricultural practices is not baiting. however if you grew a field full of corn then knocked it all down for the prupose of attracting animals that would be considered baiting

·
Banned
601 Posts
the key phrase in the fed regulations is

"Normal agricultural(farming) practices"

After harvest anything left in the field is considered waste grain

however if you grew a field full of corn then knocked it all down for the prupose of attracting animals that would be considered baiting
Thats not entirely accurate

If you grew A field full of corn never harvested it and then purposely flooded it..its not considered baiting

If you grew a field full of corn harvest half or all of it and purposely flooded it...its still not baiting.

The same is true if you manage land by planting food crops..Like sorghum, wild rice, jap millet clover....You are planting the crops specifically to attract game...but its NOT baiting.

I think its a VERY gray area

·
Registered
110 Posts
"makes me wonder what agricultural process is in use when I see corn kernels in the swamp and spilled kernels in a makeshift blind somebody put up out there"

As Swampy and I both have advanced degrees in Wildlife Agricultural Harvesting Practice from the Golden Deliciousness Mail Order School of Agriculture - It should be obvious to even to most novice waterfowler. It is NOT baiting if you plant corn kernels with the intention of actually growing corn stalks around your blind for cover. It is a little know fact (but now apparently the cat is out of the bag) that a very specific variety of agricultural corn is genetically designed to sprout and grown in frigid cold weather and even ice. That is probably why the corn you saw was there. Either it was just freshly planted or with the lack of cold temps and ice of late, it is just lying dormant waiting for the right conditions.

I am currently selling 10lb bags of Special Select TruBird Golden Harvest for a holiday special of $210. Cash or money order only. PM me if interested. It will be the best "Merry Christmas" you will ever have in the marsh.

·
Registered
9,748 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.