New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to build an AR-15 type gun with my sons. However, I can't seem to find information on who is the best companies to deal with.

Can you tell me where you bought locally ... I assume a stripped lower reciver. And where you got the rest of the parts ... without any problems of poor quality, etc?

Thanks.

·
Registered
5,833 Posts

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
The parts are slowly becoming more available... but still in short supply. You may be better off getting the completely assembled rifle. I know that is contrary to what you want to do but companies are more inclined to make the money they can make of a complete rifle than piecemeal by selling parts.

But if you're set on building one, try gun shows too... the vendors there normally have what you need. If you can find the parts have at it... and as already mentioned, AR15.com is a great source for information.

·
Registered
5,833 Posts
DEf. the gun shows. Just google "Pa. Gun shows" and you'll find one every weekend.

Last fall I was getting over a cold and took a day off from hunting to go to Cabelas for Christmas shopping. I realized there was a gun show in H-burg at the farm center, so I drove the 45 minutes.

I lucked out and found the last dealer (then) with stripped lowers. I grabbed 4. One for me, one for each of my sons, and one for my brother. All consecutive serial #s too![up]

Payback--for my birthday (a few weeks after Christmas) my brother gave me a lower parts kit.[up]

Also check Shotgun Times, etc. for info on spare parts. I can't remember the name but there is a gun dealer in Sterling (or Gilette?) NJ that has all the bits and pieces for an AR listed in their ads.

·
Registered
5,833 Posts
Oh...from my experience--

spread out a white bedsheet on the table so you don't lose the little pieces [cry]

use masking and electric tape to protect the lower when you put in the pin to hold the bolt release.

Be GENTLE puttin gin the pin for the trigger guard.

Other than that, they go together like a dream. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.