New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked one up and never owned on before. I need to get get powder for it and I've read you have to use bp and not any of the subsitutes. I guess that means no pyrodex,777, etc?

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm in SJ, burlington county. Thanks for the offer though[up]. Is black powder easy to get? I'm making the trip to Cabelas tomorrow and figure they would have it, although on their site it only lists all the substitutes.

·
Registered
334 Posts
If you're going to Cabelas tomorrow, stop in at Dixon's Muzzleloading. It's about 10 miles east of Cabelas. They'll have everything you might need. Directions are at the following link: http://www.dixonmuzzleloading.com/index.php?section=muzzleloadingshop&link=contact

Some guys may be able to get away with using Pyrodex. The problem is that it ignites at a much higher temperature, which leads to hangfires.

Also, you don't necessarily need FFFFg for the pan. Personally, I use whatever is going down the bore. In the case of my .62 smoothbore, I use FFg in the bore and the pan. The difference in ignition time is unnoticeable (without high-speed photography), and FFg is much better in the rain and wind.

·
Registered
4,183 Posts
Go to Dixons, great advice. They will set you up. You want real BP forget about anything else. FFFg is all you need in the barrel and pan, if you want to use FFFFg in the pan Dixon's will sell it by the 1/4 pound which is all you'll need.

While your at Dixons I recommend you purchase a dozen or more hand knapped English flints that fit your lock and a nice range rod. They will have all the shooting supplies will need. It is one stop shopping for the traditional muzzleloader.

If you need advice on cleaning it shoot me a PM with your email. They are very quick and easy to clean regardless of what you may think or heard.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.