New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know little to nothing about cars or trucks. My '05 Chevy Colorado is "shaking" and "bumping" hard, especially when not moving, in reverse and under 15 mph. It resembles the shaking a car makes right when it runs out of gas. Once I get it up about 25mph the problem basically disappears. I'm hoping it's nothing too serious, but am in the market for a new truck anyway, so this might just make me go for it. Any ideas or suggestions? Thanks fellas!

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Lower intake has O ring style gaskets that shrink from engine heat, common around 50,000 miles and up in some Chevys. This would cause a rough idle, and is a relatively cheap fix. Could be a bad thottle body sensor, also a cheap fix ($15-$20) and only takes about 5 minutes. It's the sensor on the throttle body, one harness and 2 small bolts.

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
I had an older GMC Jimmy that ran rough at idle like you're talking about.... it was the EGR valve. It happened multiple times so I learned to fix it myself.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Do you get a service engine light ?

Ignition misfires ,bad sensors, injector misfires (sometimes caused by plugged filter or low fuel pressure) will almost always bring on the service engine light.Sometimes a bad o2 sensor wont ,but most times it does.
If you dont have any light on ,then you have a mechanical problem...such as the bad motor .or transmission mount that was suggested.
Have your computer scanned to see what information it has stored in it. 99% of the time it will point you in the right direction.
Take it to some one before you waste time and money chasing a problem.

·
Banned
2,514 Posts
Where are u located I have a shop in flemington and can help. Dispite what everyone has said, those 5 cyls have not been a bad motor at all. they do however have a common problem with carbon build up in throtle body as mentioned above by someone else. this condition usually causes a surge in RMP basically at idle or in gear with a minimal load. I have a Chev 1500 and it had the same problem, cleaned the throtlebody, gave it a good fuel service and was good as new. With out seeing the truck its extremely hard to diagnose the problem but with a common problem of carbon under throtle plate , with out seeing it thats what Id say

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.