New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First time hunter in NJ, trying to figure out how exactly the deer hunting zones work (specifically for shotgun). For archery it seems there are specific subsets of land that people are assigned to, is this the same for shotgun, or is it more of a "free for all" within your zone? The NJ reg book is not extremely clear, and before I apply for a zone permit, want to see what I'm getting myself into here. Thanks in advance for helping out a novice.

·
Registered
7,489 Posts
look at the zone map locate where you will be hunting . that is your zone. Follow rules for that zone. Zones apply for permit seasons. You will need your zone permit

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
First time hunter in NJ, trying to figure out how exactly the deer hunting zones work (specifically for shotgun). For archery it seems there are specific subsets of land that people are assigned to, is this the same for shotgun, or is it more of a "free for all" within your zone? The NJ reg book is not extremely clear, and before I apply for a zone permit, want to see what I'm getting myself into here. Thanks in advance for helping out a novice.
As stated, locate where you will be hunting on the zone map, also see the regulation set for that zone, it's all online on the NJF&G website. Buy your permit(s) and have at it. No one is assigned a subset of land within a zone, your either on private land or public.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
Figure out where you're hunting. Buy a zone specific permit and buck tag for that zone. Follow the regulations set forth for that zone.

·
Registered
2,695 Posts
So I can set up anywhere within that zone that is posted for hunting?
Never seen a posted sign saying hunting is slowed but yes if the land is open for hunting and falls into a zone you have a permit for you can hunt it during that permit season.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks everyone for the information. I think I was a bit skewed in my original post, as my friend (a bow hunter) was speaking to me about local municipal land, which is much different! I'm clear on the regs and will proceed appropriately.

Any opinion on experiences with municipal or local city land?

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
So I can set up anywhere within that zone that is posted for hunting?
Not necessarily. You first need to make sure where your hunting is legal to be hunted. If I were you, visit the place you want to hunt WITHOUT a weapon and walk it and look at it on a map like google maps/earth. (I'm assuming you don't have private land) If you're going to hunt public land make 100% sure that the ground you are on is indeed public and are not trespassing on somebody's property. Once you've walked it and made sure it's legal to hunt there then you can go ahead and hunt it. Provided you have the right licenses and permits of course.

But before you do all that I would read the digest a couple times and get used to the rules and regs. so before you do anything make sure you know the rules and regs and that its legal where you're going to be hunting.

I suggest going to the WMA's. They don't have nearly as much pressure as people think during the bow seasons. Gun season and pheasant season are different however.

Good luck

1 - 12 of 12 Posts