New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been reading the other thread about this which has become a fiasco to sat the least. I have a question about holding a Captains license and the responsibilities there after. If you are a Captain and you notice someone doing something illegal[short fish,protected species,out of season]what is your responsibility? Are you required to report them or is this only a moral or ethical issue? Not trying to start arguments guys,just trying to find out if being the captain of a charter boat or party boat makes you have responsibility towards illegal actions or are you just required to take them in and out safely.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
It depends on what you're fishing for. Tuna sharks and bill fish the boat and EVERYONE on board is responsible for any fines. Inshore species its an individual fine. If everyone onboard is sharing a communal cooler, than the officers let you sort it out as to who kept the illegal fish. Some fish (sturgeon) its the responsibility of the captain not to bring the fish onboard. Although you don't have any responsibility to turn anyone in, you'd just as well avoid having tickets issued to your passengers.

Your boat will get labeled as fertile territory and are more likely to get boarded in the future. I don't let people break the laws because i know there may be a day when someone makes an honest mistake on my boat and i'd prefer to be able to say honest mistake and hope for leniency which isn't going to happen if you're a repeat offender.

·
Registered
18,010 Posts
If your a Captain on a boat where other Captains or Mates are your still in the mix if the Authorities know your a Captain and something goes down ilegal. You see oil or polutent dumping and don't call it in and you were found to be in that area then you could face a board of Inquiry should the issue be pressed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts