New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
7,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering what the typical going rate is per acre these days, I hunt a lot of friends pieces so its free but was wondering what you would offer someone lets say who had 30 acres for the season? I have a few smaller chunks that im looking into 15acres, 22, acres, 30 acres, 43 acres etc. Just trying to get a ballpark of what the prices are. thanks.

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
i never leased for hunting berore but in another thread they were saying $30 - $50 per acre depending on woods to field ratio (actual huntable land)

·
Registered
13,319 Posts
Minimum you should offer to pay is the taxes if it's farm assesed, then offer venison and give a bottle or gift certificate at the end of the year, or to do some light duty work around the property.

If a person offers less, then they would be a fool as someone may come and swipe it from you pretty easily.

Up to $30 an acre isn't bad for the right piece, but anything above that starts getting pricey and there most likely are better alternatives but you'd have to do some leg work, but the pieces are out there for the right price to get if you want it bad enough.

·
Registered
550 Posts
30 an acre out here?!?! Seriously? Thats absurd......

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Everything that leased for hunting in NJ north to south, east to west is minimum $40-50/acre and up as high as $100/acre i have seen, and farmer/land owners usually expect raises yearly and "odd Jobs" to do like posting, cutting & stacking firewood, cutting down fallen trees and limbs on trails, etc...they all know what "other farmers" are getting and will wait it out for the best offer and club or people to come to them, very few need to advertize that they want to lease their lands....it has become so cuthroat that most clubs will do whatever farmer wants in order to keep a piece of land.

·
Registered
7,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This isn't really a legit type lease its more of a " your propertys vacant, you don't hunt, what kind of a deal can we make" Trading venison and labor is the norm up here but to sweeten the pot I wanted to know what would be fair to offer someone. EXAMPLE: Theres a guy I know that inherited a piece that's 27 acres, I stopped and talked with him last year and said no because " he was going to start hunting" Mid January I dropped off some venison for him and he said he never got his license, no time etc etc not going to hunt. Im certainly not paying his taxed as im paying almost 7k for 2 acres I own, so that's out. That's why im trying to get an idea, also I think $50 an acre is way high but I could be wrong.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
look up Thompson land management and see what some of their leases in Hunterdon and Somerset counties go for and those are mostly fields with a little woods....you would be shocked. My club leases 4 farms in sussex and warren and we pay an average of $55/acre for roughly 450 acres total...do the math...alot of $$$$ With the way the farming industry has failed and fuel/ corn prices skyrocketed, farmers need to offset something, and well we end up having to pay, the old days of knocking on a farmers door and asking permission is long gone, you may find one like a needle in a haystack and if you do I would keep it a secret cause that would be the best kept one ever here in NJ!

·
Registered
11,803 Posts
105,000 for 68 acres in NC with a farmhouse on the property and that's bought, not leased . . . just sayin . . .

·
Banned
3,127 Posts
105,000 for 68 acres in NC with a farmhouse on the property and that's bought, not leased . . . just sayin . . .
MLS # please? Lol. Sounds like a good deal to me.

·
Registered
13,319 Posts
That's why im trying to get an idea, also I think $50 an acre is way high but I could be wrong.
$50 an acre is pretty high for larger acreage, maybe for a good 10 or 20 acre piece if it was prime.

Im certainly not paying his taxed as im paying almost 7k for 2 acres I own, so that's out.
This is where you have to know the ins and out of the taxes and what he pays to make an offer that makes sense.
FARM OR WOODLAND ASSESSED taxes are NOT at a full rate. You pay $7000 for two acres non farm assessed. Guess what I pay for 16 acres of woodland assessed that is very good hunting ground? Under $100 total---and the taxes went up last year.....[confusedagain]

So paying the taxes on a farm or woodland assesed, and maybe doubling it or adding some other incentives are the starting point for negotiation. They aren't using it? You have the taxes paid "plus" something for the landowner? Win-win if you know their taxes and discuss advantages to both parties using their costs as a talking point.

Let's say you find a piece of land, 30 acres vacant that isn't tax assessed. Let's say they pay $3000. Then they obviously don't know the rules and regulations that allow them to only be paying $50 per year if it was farm or woodland assessed. You work with them to get properly assessed, and now you are saving them $2500/year plus paying them a couple hundred. That's when the landowner loves you and you'd really have to be a boob to lose that piece.

Not possible you say? I've saved one of my landowners over $4000 a year now for quite a few years. I'm so close to him he might as well adapt me now.....[smoke]

If you want to be successful in the leasing game you have to know the rules and angles and costs. It's not that hard.

·
Registered
11,803 Posts
MLS # please? Lol. Sounds like a good deal to me.
A friend is on his way down to make an offer . . . he's been down there looking twice and just got a large chunk of money . . . sorry, but there are some really good opportunities if you look for them and have the resources . . .

·
Banned
3,127 Posts
A friend is on his way down to make an offer . . . he's been down there looking twice and just got a large chunk of money . . . sorry, but there are some really good opportunities of you look for them and have the resources . . .
Sounds like he may get himself a good deal. Best of luck to him. I'm currently exploring my options and NC and VA are tops on my list so far.

·
Banned
5,004 Posts
$
You pay $7000 for two acres non farm assessed. Guess what I pay for 16 acres of woodland assessed that is very good hunting ground? Under $100 total-
This is my only hopes for staying in New Jersey.

Unfortunately, I'm very financially forward-thinking, and I realize how financially damaging it is to one's family to pay $8000 property taxes per year for a house on 3 acres, or $10,000 for a house on 5 acres etc..., and I simply will not do that. It's long-term financial suicide. Plus, I want something 10 acres minimum, so about 3 to 5 years from now when I'll likely buy I figure I either find something farm assessed or I'm leaving for NC, VA, or WV like everyone else is.

·
Registered
13,319 Posts
I want something 10 acres minimum, so about 3 to 5 years from now when I'll likely buy I figure I either find something farm assessed or I'm leaving for NC, VA, or WV like everyone else is.
Farm or woodland assessed isn't the holy grail as far as when a home is on the site. They remove the home and a portion of the land from the reduced assessment and bang you for the full boat. I pay less than $100 for 16 acres, but if I told you what I paid on the other 1.3 acres you'd move out of NJ now......:ko:

·
Registered
7,763 Posts
Two years ago not far from me I was given a chance to lease 120 acres this included the use of a cabin that was like brand new, year around use, fishing in a stocked pond, the only thing we couldn't do was bear hunt......He wanted $10,000, we thought about it and had a two cams out for two weeks, got pictures of the two same bucks..... spike and 3 pointer......See ya...we never took it!!!!

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
They remove the home and a portion of the land from the reduced assessment and bang you for the full boat
I live on a farm. Your dwelling will be taxed residential to whatever the minimum acerage is for a single family dwelling in that municipality. My farm land that is taxed as such is very reasonable by Nj standards. To be honest, I cant see for the life of me why any young person or couple would want to start a new life and/or family in nj and pay the taxes we pay? Dont get me wrong, I live on a gorgeous farm and I'm very greatfull for that but if it wasnt for my wife, I would have been out of NJ 20 years ago..

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
Va has good hunting, we have 56 acres with a shared pond at a good price. We got is about 18 years ago for $1600 per acre.

·
Banned
5,004 Posts
if I told you what I paid on the other 1.3 acres you'd move out of NJ now......:ko:
I rent in an expensive part of the state where it's actually cheaper to rent than it is to own (tax, insurance, maintenance, upkeep, mortgage). There are very few places in America where the own versus rent math works out to either equivalence or a scenario where it can be cheaper to rent (especially with these low interest rates), but in certain parts of New Jersey it's happening - right now.

Two years ago not far from me I was given a chance to lease 120 acres this included the use of a cabin that was like brand new, year around use, fishing in a stocked pond, the only thing we couldn't do was bear hunt......He wanted $10,000
Are people seriously getting these rates for hunter rental? Maybe this is another option to pursue to appease the tax man. That works out to $83.33 per acre for hunting on the year.

I cant see for the life of me why any young person or couple would want to start a new life and/or family in nj and pay the taxes we pay?
The simple answer I believe, is that many people lack the financial skills to understand how financially impairing it is to be paying these property tax rates projected out long-term. I think most just accept it. Also? I find when this conversation comes up most New Jersey residents have NO CLUE how expensive New Jersey property tax is versus the rest of America. They KNOW it's expensive, they KNOW it's one of the most expensive states, but I find few people know just how expensive NJ is versus the rest of America, or that NJ is the #1 most expensive state.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts