New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is going to be my 1st hunting season so I've been out doing some scouting on Assunpink. I have access to some private land but would like to try my luck on public land as well. While taking a walk in the woods the other day, I found a spot that showed signs of getting a lot of action with a clearing and trees with some good cover. I thought it would be a good spot to put a stand and then I noticed that there was a permanent stand right over the clearing. It looked like its been there since last season but still looked useable. I thought that it was illegal to leave them up out of season [confused] I don't want to move in on somebody else's spot but how do I know if someone will be using the stand this upcoming season? Or should I just forget about it and move on to another spot? Also, how far away is acceptable to be from another stand? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
Almost 1300 posts and this will be your first year hunting?

It's illegal to build permanent stands in WMAs (i.e. 2x4s, nails, etc.).

Well, your scouting seems to be spot on. You noticed good sign and validated your findings by locating another hunter's stand. Confirmed.

To be considerate, I would position my stand a few 100 yds up or down the trail where you spotted this permanent stand. As your hunting season progresses, if you don't ever see another hunter in that stand, then you could move right in close to that stand and position your portable where you desire. That's how I would play it.

I gained access to private property a few years back. I scouted the property using satellite maps on-line and walked the property with the landowner. I got all my info and put together a plan of where I would hunt during bow season, buck season, etc. As my season went along, I noticed some very old permanent stands made of wood nearby all my desired spots. That told me that I must be in the right location or some hunter from 15+ years ago and I are both wrong! I have had good success though. So, if you see some old wooden stands that are falling apart, a quick way to learn from someone else's scouting, put your stand right in there and chances are you will see deer.

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
NH hit the nail on the head, while no one is allowed to claim an area on public land give him at least a 100 yards buffer, then if no one come in to use it, move a little closer! More than likely it's probably a gun stand!But you never know!

·
Registered
5,898 Posts
some areas at assunpink are covered with stands i go in if no person is in their first i use a climber its fist come first serve on public land even with no stands yull have i guy walk in with you waveing at him and he sets up 50 yrds from you or less at time even diring gun season public hunting can be very agravateing but its all i got so i deal with it

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
I use a tree stand during bow season on public land. During gun season, I prefer the ground cause when the shots start up, its easier to duck out of the way. You will see.[hihi][hihi]

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
If by "permanent stand" you mean something built into a tree, they are illegal on WMA land. Did you get a good look at it? There are old stands around from before the law was changed. But they are usually not in good shape and you would be foolish to use them.

If it is a "permanent stand," you can call F&W enforcement and they will take it down.

If by, "permanent" you meant a ladder or hang on stand, then what the above people suggest would be a good course of action.

Personally, I would consider your private spot if you have one. WMA spots are usually pretty crowded.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
sometimes it's hard to even get them to respond when called.I find it hard to believe they'd be actually out there taking stands down.they don't have the manpower to effectively patrol in the first place.
I agree. But Assunpink is probably the one place where you could get some help. I think the Central Enforcement office is there and it might even have a maintenance staff. If they can't get to it, so be it. I would bet though, that if you saw someone using it, they would become very interested. ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.