New Jersey Hunters banner

Question about ground Venision???

1K views 27 replies 22 participants last post by  Thunderbolt 
#1 ·
So I got my first doe on Sunday and got her all butchered up (with some help from my cousin and family friend), I'm ready to make some ground beef and know you must add some sort of beef or pork fat. What is the way to go about this? Mix in strait fat or some ground chuck or some ground pork? Anyone have a technique they can share??? Thanks in advance for any help.

#7 ·
I add 1 lb beef suet(fat) to every 4-5lb venison. I cut the venison which is partially frozen into small chunks, I then cut the beef fat which is also partially frozen into smaller chunks, mix it all by hand and then grind. I also refrigerate my grinding head while I'm cutting the meat and fat to keep everything cold. If I'm going to make meatloaf or meatballs I through in a few pounds of pork fat or shoulder into the mix.

#10 ·
Stay away from the suet,tell the super market butcher that you are looking for a "rich" chuck roast. Cut that into pieces that will fit into your grinder and grind both meats at the same time. Figure 1-lb of chuck for every 4lbs of venison. Stick with the beef, just in case you want your burgers a little pink.........Make sure your trimmings are cold before grinding and get them in and out of the grinder as quick as possible.

#17 ·
Pork butt 75/25 mix or 10-15% pork fat

#18 ·
i have used beef suet for years. about 4lbs to a boned out deer, minus the loins.
bone out, clean off silver.

strip suet and freeze

3/8 plate

mix meat and fat

should look like this

then onions, garlic, sometimes green peppers

all veggies through a 3/16 plate

then a couple packs of montreal steak seasoning, mix
then run it in a 1/4 plate

looks like store bought.

i vac seal in 1 1/4lbs packs. make the patty, then freeze overnight. then vac seal, no blood to deal with. i do about 150 packs a year for my family, we buy no beef ground meat.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.