New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just picked up the mossberg 500. i dont know that much regarding guns. just wondering whats the difference with the chokes and which ones i should use. it came with a full, improved, and modified. my uncles got me an 870 a couple years ago when i graduated highschool. it only came with one choke and i have used that to kill deer, pheasants, squirrels, and shoot skeet. i just want to know what each choke does and what it would be good for.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Full choke shoots tighter groups. i use a full choke with buckshot.
Modified choke shoots bigger groups. i use it for pheasant and small game.
And ive never used improved

·
Registered
8,185 Posts
I use improved and even more open chokes over my pointing dog as the shot will be close in. Modified for medium range shots and full choke for longer shots. But there are some exceptions such as if you are shooting steel at waterfowl and then you might not need as tight a choke as you might with similar sized lead shot. The general idea is that improved cylinder is for close in shots, modified for medium and full choke for longer distances.

It's always best to take a few different sizes of shot you will be hunting with and pattern them on cardboard or some other target at various ranges so you have a good idea how they will shoot in your gun.

·
Registered
5,050 Posts
whats the difference with the chokes and which ones i should use
Mike130,
What Brian said is good sound advice.

What is important is you should never go afield before first patterning your shotgun to see where it shoots and how it patterns with the loads you've selected for the game intended. Understanding your preferred load's capabilities based on its shot charge will sometimes dictate the appropriate choke to use as well. Here is some good reading about chokes, choke tubes, how to pattern, and yardages your patterns should be effective at.

http://www.fieldandclays.com/expert_chokes.htm

·
Registered
9,657 Posts
If you plan on shots in this range:
I/C up to 25 yds.
Mod. up to 35 yds.
Full up to 45 yds.
This does not apply to steel. Use one LESS constriction.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Until you try a few chokes on paper with different loads and see what they do it's always hard to predict. I have tried many that are out ther and you can also even call companies up and ask for a demo choke to see how they work in your gun before you purchase one! I favor the Patternmaster Code Black chokes hands down. Especially for turkey! Shot type and shot size will change things with every choke. .665 is a perfect constriction that will keep your shot holding a better pattern and if you need further distance increase your shot size like #5, but if you want a more forgiving pattern at short distances like 20-30 yards and under then go with a smaller shot size like TSS #9 for turkey. I am using a Mossberg 535 12ga Pump Turkey Thug and love it as long as the load I have in it is a 1 3/4oz or under. It's light and short so anything over 2oz loads will throw my aim point off. Call Patternmaster up and talk to them and they will help you out Great American Co full of Vets! A bit expensive, maybe so....but so are my arrows that I build up! Quality and Customer service unmatched!

John of Northwest Spur Chasers

1 - 6 of 6 Posts