New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My father and I went to the Gouin Reservior in Northern Quebec for a fly-in pike and walleye trip. 725 miles from NJ with the last 160 being on a dirt road, we arrived at the air base. Met up with the outfitters and he tells us the fishing is the worst he has ever seen. Spring was real cold and it snowed the second week of June. We had enough cold and rain gear to handle this. Take a 20 minute float plane trip back to our cabin. We were the 3rd group staying there and it was by far the nicest place I have ever stayed in the bush.

The weather completely changed when we got there. Bright sun and temps in the low to mid 80 all week. It only rained for about 2 hours all week and the wind hardly blew. Fishing was real slow. We caught fish each day, but nothing to brag about. The walleye were real picky except at 1st light and at dusk. Sun was up for about 19 hours a day and that gave you plenty of time to fish!

Dad with a nice walleye!

Dad fighting a northern pike.

Sunset

The Gouin has 3500 hundred miles of shoreline and 610 square miles of water. You have plenty of places to fish and you are in the middle of nowhere. They are everywhere you go and not just NJ!

All in all, the fishing was less than we expected and the abnormal cold/hot weather had a lot to do with it. We've used the outfitter in the past and he is as good as any out there. We will use them again. It's alway great to get away and spend time with your dad!

·
Registered
4,236 Posts
[up][up][up]

·
Registered
1 Posts
Glad trip to Canada and back was safe. Was looking forward to your pics and info. We are going to Gouin in August. U have emailed my brother-in-law BD. Saw u and your father last year fishing up at gouin. Whats with the pontoon boat next to you in one of your pics. The weather must have caused havoc with the fishing. Good luck if you go next year. Maybe a different week.

·
Super Moderator
12,370 Posts
Memory to last a lifetime
nice pics and even tho the fishing wasnt its best, you cant beat the time spent out on the lake with your dad.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
I could definitely hang out there for a while! Thanks for sharing the great pics.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Went there for about 5 years and caught pike to 25 lbs and walleye over 10. We stayed on an island 35 miles up from the dam. All who wanted to hunt bear got one the first night out. Back than we paid by day and it was $50.00 american to hunt per day. Think you got a bear for $100.00 if you were choosy!

Great place, good memories!
Trout fishing was good in small lakes around the camp too!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts