New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry guy's I don't want to offend anyone here so don't take this the wrong way.I was hunting last week and shot a 92# doe a fellow i met helped me out tracking her. Afterwards we talked the our hunts that night. I told him I coould of had a shot at a bbuck. He said I should of shot that and let the doe go to breed on.I have no problem of what people shoot as long as they are proud of the game they take. To me every deer is a trophy.My complaint is this is the same guy last year who shot a one horn and was complaing that there are no quality bucks in the area, which there are.Like I said I don't critisize people on what they shoot as long as they are proud of it.But don't complain to me about no quality deer if you are the first one to shoot the young guy's.If you want quality deer let the lil' guy's go and WAIT for the mature or older. Sorry if I offended anyone. Stiks

·
Registered
10,462 Posts
I agree I have put QDM restrictions on myself statewide.

There are certain circumstances I will shoot a small buck. For example on 10/30 I had a near oppertunity to shoot a forkhorn. He had a real bad limp and it was the last day of regular bow season so I would have a new buck tag the next day. I didn't shoot him beacuse his running buddy, a spike, was staring at me everytime I had a shot so I couldn't draw the bow.

One thing that really sticks in my craw is shooting button bucks. One reason is I am embarrased to bring it to a check station. I have seen button bucks with enough body size to be mistaken for a doe. For that reason I won't shoot a doe unless I can determine it is not a button buck.

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
Everyones opinion varies. I am personally a trophy hunter. I wont shoot it unless I can hang it on my wall, unless I have had no meat. I will not shoot until I know for sure it is not a button, but even sometimes you cant always tell. I know if I p [no swearing please] on a buck, someone else will take it, but I cant prevent that.

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
Well I guess that would be I'm a WildLife Manager.
Me too. I probably give away 4-6 deer a year to people who dont hunt, but love the meat. this year has been bad for me though. So I am trying to get out of my slump

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
I Have been the Butt of these talks on 2 different ocassions. All I could say is I got meat. And if I did'nt kill that broken buck last week my 8 pt would not have happened this week, Unless I wanted to cheat and tag him for a different zone. SOme guys do. My only beef with the EAB is this. At least let the guys during fall bow shoot a buck or doe first,BUT before they take a buck during permit bow they need to shoot a doe. Example: It's opening day Sep 10 and I see a 8 pt I could shoot it even though I'm in a EAB. But regardless my next deer needs to be a doe Before I shoot a buck during permit bow. SO then If I want I could BAD 2 does after my buck. Get it. I think that would make for more patiant hunters because I forone will shoot anything in a EAB to fill my tag so I could go after a shooter. My kid opening day had a 6 and a 8 10 yds from him and poor kid could only look at them. My way would make it better for hunters i think.

·
Registered
889 Posts
I won't shoot a buck unless its gonna go on the wall. I think of it like a crop, you wouldn't harvest a crop before it is done growing. As far as does, in the areas I hunt, I take at least 1 for every buck even if there were no EAB requirement.

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
I won't shoot a buck unless its gonna go on the wall. I think of it like a crop, you wouldn't harvest a crop before it is done growing. As far as does, in the areas I hunt, I take at least 1 for every buck even if there were no EAB requirement.
Thats a great example!

By the way, the reason I think most people dislike QDM is because they misunderstand so much of it. You have to have a basic understanding of what it does for the herd before you can accept it. And as much as people like to think that QDM's sole purpose is to grow big bucks, its not. TDM's sole purpose is growing big antlers. QDM focus's on the health and balance of the herd, as well as the quality of the land and the health of surrounding wildlife.

Everyone who cares about the deer herd should look at the following site;

QDMA WEBSITE CLICK HERE TO LEARN MORE!!!!!

Practice QDM and try to recruit others to do the same!!!!

By the way Stiks, I run into the same type guys most years, and its very discouraging. But dont give up. Practicing Quality Deer Management is the best thing you can do for the woods and wildlife where you hunt![up]

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh I won't give up.JUst tired of hearing the complaining from the culprtits.I will shoot a lame deer or a under achiever at the end of the season for meat and am always proud of the game i take :p

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
I can only consume 1 or maybe 2 deer per year and have no friends/family/neighbors that want venison. In addition, the Food Banks are not located in convenient or even have the numbers to make it worthwhile for most people. If I had to hunt an EAB with my limited time afield then it would be discouraging. Most guys that I know in EAB whack the first doe or yearling that comes along. At least BAD is helping in this respect for those Zones.

I practice my own QDM by taking respectable bucks and certainly no BBs. If I can ever find soemone to take some meat then I would take a doe once in awhile as well. I know the importance of shooting does but this is not always practical for some people.

·
Registered
550 Posts
I am also a trophy hunter and will not shoot anything smaller then what i already have on the wall..I am always looking for a bigger buck..If i dont see something that i can hang on my wall then i dont fill my tag for that season..But i do have spots where i only kill does, and myself and Oges77 are doing a number on does this year..In areas i hunt the EAB is worked wonders..Your never gonna grow trophy bucks to there maximum potential if you shoot them at 2 1/2 years old..And yes it sucks that some deer you p [no swearing please] up will get shot by other hunters, but thats hunting and its the chance you take..To me i am all for EAB [up]

1 - 12 of 12 Posts