New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
3,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Bergen Record 1/21/2015.
Assemblman Tim Eustace D-Maywood has intorduced a bill to require all people who live in areas with black bears to keep their trash in bear-proof containers. The bill, A-4017, also applies to all public and private campgrounds and condominimums. Apartment buildings and garden apartment complexes would be exempt under the bill. fines will range from $50 to $1,000. Another section of the bill would make it illegal for hunters to lay down bait for deer in areas where there are black bears. State law already forbids intentional and unintentional feeding of black bears,but the statute is rarely enforced. Opponents of the hunt have long decried the perceived failure of locl cops to enforce "Don't Feed the Bears" laws. "This is one of the things we've been pushing for all along," said Jeff Tittel, director of the New Jersey Sierra Club. "It's a common sense solution that will actually work.
By Richard Cowen
STAFF WRITER.

·
Premium Member
4,189 Posts
Yeah because there's a bear problem in Maywood he is trying to solve. Maywood is approximately 6 blocks square, with zero bear habitat. everyone that lives there is Korean except my dad lol... why don't these A-holes worry about where they live. Keep their BS where it belongs in liberal land Bergen county.

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
This jackass Democrap spewing her liberal Bergen county bullshit when she has probably has never seen a bear in her life. Will she pay for these "bear proof" cans? Someone who lives down there should tell her to shut the F#$% up.[down]

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
So if you put out bait for bears that is not intentionally feeding them?

·
Registered
8,185 Posts
With more and more NJ towns going with the "one armed bandit" garbage trucks to reduce medical injuries to their garbage men, this would be exceptionally costly. My town of Mount Olive went this route last year and you can't have a bear proof can that can be automatically picked up and dumped, rendering all those expensive and new trucks and cans useless if a stupid bill like this were to pass.

That said, this bill seems to get introduced at least annually and is always shot down. It's just another hidden "don't shoot bears" feel good thing from the antis.

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
I get why hunting bears works in high population bear areas to knock the population down. But if there are so many bears and people always see bears when deer hunting why do you need bait?

Not trying to start a fight or anything just don't understand.

·
Registered
8,185 Posts
I get why hunting bears works in high population bear areas to knock the population down. But if there are so many bears and people always see bears when deer hunting why do you need bait?

Not trying to start a fight or anything just don't understand.

Who said you "need" to bait? I shot my first NJ bear without bait. But bait does bring in bears from a distance which is helpful. In areas like Canada where forests are extremely dense, baiting is the method of choice. You would be hard pressed to find one any other way.

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
Who said you "need" to bait? I shot my first NJ bear without bait. But bait does bring in bears from a distance which is helpful. In areas like Canada where forests are extremely dense, baiting is the method of choice. You would be hard pressed to find one any other way.
Ok cool, thanks.

·
Banned
5,004 Posts
There are bear in every county of NJ, so if taken literally, this law would require everyone in NJ to have a bear trashcan and ban deer-baiting everywhere.

From NJF&G
Within the most densely populated state in the nation, black bears are thriving and there are now confirmed bear sightings in all 21 of New Jersey's counties.

·
Premium Member
4,189 Posts
There are bear in every county of NJ, so if taken literally, this law would require everyone in NJ to have a bear trashcan and ban deer-baiting everywhere.

From NJF&G
Exactly the way interpret this to read as well.

Also does anyone know of a bear proof can company that isn't owned and ran by antis? I refuse to spend my money with any business, that I know for a fact spends their money to fight my ability to hunt.

To me this sounds fishy... if a politician is pushing a bill that will force people to buy products from people that are antis. And the antis are the ones pushing the politicians to introduce this bill, how is this ethical? I need a politician to pass a bill that forces homeowners, to replace their entire heating and ac systems on an annual basis. See where I'm going with this... somehow the politicians introducing these bills are being compensated some how.

Someone needs to look into how many of these legislators backing this bill own hardware/garden supply stores that will be carrying these bear proof cans, if this bill were to pass. I'm calling BS on this one.

·
Registered
7,176 Posts
A priority in this latest proposal is to demonstrate to the assemblyman and the general public that the "bear proof" trash can is simply NOT "bear proof." There are multiple videos on the internet, including some I've posted to this site that show NJ bears defeating the proposed bear proof cans. As for baiting, while Mr. Tittel is correct that it is already against the law, our dear friend Susan Kehoe gutted the law with her defense when she was ticketed for feeding bears in her yard. The judge ruled that absent evidence that she was purposely putting food out with a bear present, there's no way to prove that simply putting bait on the ground was done with an intent to feed the bears. Hence the law was found to vague to be enforced....The public needs to know...so when it comes time for public comment, do so by point this out. And yes, its a very good idea to flood his e-mail and FB page with videos of bears defeating the "bear proof trash can"

·
Registered
7,176 Posts
I just emailed him the following video of an NJ bear opening a bear proof trash can....be sure to reference the bill when you e-mail him

Reactions: Bucksnbows

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
What pisses me off about this is that I can name at least 100 other much more important issues that need tending to other than bear BS.. I heard the property taxes are pretty high in Maywood, nice voting for the "D". people..[down]

1 - 20 of 36 Posts