New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 13yo who is starting to hunt wants a trail camera for xmas. can anyone recommend a decent trail cam in the 100-120.00 price range. Im looking for something that is easy to use, download pics, and in this price range bc we hunt on public land. i dont want to spend too much in case it gets stolen.

purchasing thru cabelas.com bc i have coupon. thanks in advance

·
Registered
752 Posts
Wildgame innovations at dicks...on sale now for like 49 or 59 bucks...so this way when it gets stolen your not nearly as pissed off as you would be if it was 100-200

·
Registered
5,875 Posts
Look at the browning cameras that cabelas has. They had one on sale recently $59.99 and sold out of them. They are a much better camera than the wildgame innovations.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
I respectfully disagree on the wildgame innovations cameras........they are junk. They last one season, then break (1 year warranty). If you only are buying it to see if he likes then go for it. I have bought the wild game innovation cameras on many occasions and they do not hold up. Better off spending a bit more and buy a spypoint, moultrie or cuddeback. Just my opinion. There are plenty of moultrie and cuddeback cameras in your price range.

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
I have a Moultrie I think it is 550 and it does the job, was on sale for 59 dollars last year . I also heard good things about the Bushnell trophy cam around 99 dollars .

·
Registered
752 Posts
I have 5 or 6 wildgame and only had an issue with 1...but to each there own...I lime thay fact that they are cheap and when they get stolen I'm not.out a ton of money

·
Registered
10,463 Posts

·
Registered
13,319 Posts
I respectfully disagree on the wildgame innovations cameras........they are junk.
X2.
You'll spend more returning it and arguing with their poor customer service when it doesn't work than on a better cam that you can still get for under $100.

·
Registered
4,572 Posts
Whatever you buy, be careful where you put in. Don't use that goofy off color strap on the tree as a thief will will spot that a mile away. I use bailing wire to secure my cams when I hang naked. (Without a security box) Also place it higher in the tree pointed down. Good luck!

·
Registered
6,173 Posts

·
Registered
7,397 Posts
Bushnell® 6MP Camo Trophy Cam Trail Camera

View attachment 28876

Bushnell® 6MP Camo Trophy Cam Trail Camera : Cabela's

Regularly priced @ $169.99 - on sale now for only $129.99

this camera is also eligible for Bushnell's $30 factory rebate & FREE shipping from Cabelas
http://www.cabelas.com/assets/pdfs/bushnell_trophy_cam_30rebate_12-31-14.pdf

Your final cost ... only $99.99

I purchased this trail camera back in October at Cabelas. I had a very bad experience with it. First, you have to reset the time every single time you turn the camera on or off. Second, the camera had a tendency to show correct formatting on the SD card at start-up, but when you went back to check the camera, the SD card was magically non-compatible with the camera and the camera would not take pictures. I had this problem with several different SD cards. I have 9 Bushnell Trophy Cams and have been thrilled with them...........but trust me....you don't want this one. The good news is that Cabelas took it back after being in the woods for a good two months.

·
Registered
750 Posts
sportsmans guide has a 2 pack of wildviews for $70, cant go wrong for the price and the cameras work fine for me, they do what i need them to do and that is show me what deer are in my area ...but make sure you get the infrared not a flash type

·
Registered
10,463 Posts
I purchased this trail camera back in October at Cabelas. I had a very bad experience with it. First, you have to reset the time every single time you turn the camera on or off. Second, the camera had a tendency to show correct formatting on the SD card at start-up, but when you went back to check the camera, the SD card was magically non-compatible with the camera and the camera would not take pictures. I had this problem with several different SD cards. I have 9 Bushnell Trophy Cams and have been thrilled with them...........but trust me....you don't want this one. The good news is that Cabelas took it back after being in the woods for a good two months.
Maybe you got a bad one? ... 9 Trophy Cams that worked fine, & 1 that had issues ... [confused]

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
Chris M, I have two Bushnell Trophy cams. No real problems with either. Is this Trophy Cam any different? I was thinking all Bushnell trophy Cams would be equal in quality. The infrared pics on my cams are a bit dark but that is easy to fix on the computer.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts