·
Registered
5,435 Posts
I like the Suzuki King Quad 700 or the Vinson 500 in camo of course[up]

The KingQuad was ATV of the Year.

·
Registered
9,467 Posts
I've had a Honda Rubicon 500cc since 2002. When I asked my Sport bike mechanic what ATV I shoud buy he said, " Honda "
What model, he said " Honda "
What size , he said " Honda "

He said they have the best track record for durability, ease of maintenance, and parts availability. And he works on all types.

And they are great when you have a heavy load to haul :D:D

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Yamaha Grizzly 660 here. I will be getting the Bombardier 800 in the spring. Give the 660 to my son. I will tell you this all 3 of my buddies that have polaris sportsmen 500's and 700 aren't happy they have all broken drive units. Not saying that anything is wrong with them, just what I have noticed. I was going to buy one when I purchased my Grizzly.

Ryan

PS Artic Cat and Bombadier are the hot one this model year.

·
Banned
1,192 Posts
I have a polaris magnum 425,chain driven since 1996.Can not kill the bike.Its gotten me in and out of wherever I wanted to go.I have had 3 guys and deer dragging behind and nothing can slow that bike down.I only use it in NY state now but wish they would let us use them on state land.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
I belong to an atv club in Pa (Tower City), ride alot. If you just want the machine for work type activities ...... fetching animals, getting to a deer stand, farm, work site ..... I would buy American and get a Polaris Sportsman.

If you also want to go a little nuts on trails through the woods, etc, I would get a Kawasaki Prairie ..... tighter, sportier suspension, lower center of gravity, etc

Truth is, any used 4X4 will probably do the job for ya. A old Poloris (more than 10 years old) might have more problems ---- but they cleaned up the act mucho this past decade. Anyway, you're always fixing these things if you play them hard.

I also agree about Honda and thier quality. I hate to admit it, but I think Honda makes the best everything (but I still drive a F-250). Honda, at last I know, was using a automotive transmission in the auto atv's ---- kinda strange hearing and feeling it shift ---- but it did not shift too well in really rough trail conditions. Other manufactures, as I'm sure you know, use a snowmobile-type transmission in their auto machines. It works well. Older Honda's will have a hydraulic pump system in thier auto's. That dd not last too long. Honda just has to be different, it seems... much like Sony.

You want to shift gears, you say? My first atv, and i still have it, my son plows snow for the neighbors with it, I demanded a manual transmission. I did not understand how an automatic transmission would shift well in rough conditions. I was wrong, way wrong. That snowmobile continuously variable twin belt system, or whatever you call it, works. Really works. I think all the heavy 4X4's have an automatic (centrifugal)clutch anyway, not a real clutch like the sport atv's.

I would not get too hung up on engine size. Each year they come out with bigger engines just to top the other guy and make headlines in the atv magazines. These are amazing machines.... built for torque first ..... 3 or 4 pounds of air in the tires....etc. That first atv of mine was only a 300cc (actually 286 or something), and it took my fat butt over every boulder that was in my way.

Well, that's my 2 cents.

Jim

1 - 20 of 26 Posts