New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am afraid to speak too soon but the training clinics I've attended the last 2 times I couldn't have been happier :D At 8 months my pup is steady to wing and shot on his last groups of quail. He retrieves to foot (almost hand) and I really couldn't ask for anymore. Of course I want a finished dog doing blind duck searches in a 5 acre pond but I think we are well on our way. It was raining pretty hard this AM and he still did really well with his nose inspite of the conditions. He pointed one quail a solid 20' away in the rain [up].
Here's a few pics of points and retrieves...

·
Registered
5,451 Posts
Very nice I love the pictures. How do you become a part of N.A.V.H.D.A.? I have been doing alot of training at home with the new Pup but I have to start something more formal with her soon.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
www.navhda.com is the web address for the Nat'l organization. www.rocktavern.org is the closest chapter to us. They have training clinics now on every Saturday and Monday through the season. I e-mailed you earlier in the week that there was a training clinic today. You gotta check it out. Weekly access to birds, decades of cumulative dog training experience, good socialization skills for your pup. The end of Sept. my dog takes his "natural ability test" which includes a test on field work, willingness to go into water, and scent tracking (following a live pheasant track). Even if your dog doesn't meet the "navhda breed criteria" you really should check it out. Let me know???

1 - 6 of 6 Posts