New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I virtually never hunt on public land, but I've seen a lot of posts about guys who have had stands set up next to theirs on management areas.

My question is...people leave stands set up on WMA's year round, so does that mean they have life rights to that spot?

On the other hand, if I had a stand set up and went out to hunt and someone was right on top of me, I'd be annoyed.

It's a double edged sword, so what's the deal?

·
Registered
5,191 Posts
Personally I hang my stands in the spring, I never had someone hang one near mine but if I did I wouldn't be happy. Yes its public land but respect other hunters, there's more than enough woods. I have found others stands while scouting, as soon as I see it I turn around and scout a different area

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
A stand doesn't give anyone rights to an area. I use climbers in state land, I won't set up on top of someone and I go to a different area if I see a truck or someone there, but I won't not hunt an area with the climber because someone has a stand up.

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
I don't hang my stand if there's one in the area out of respect to the others that I share the land with. I have, however, on many occassions been on the other side of it where I've had a stand in a spot and have been hunting it regularly only to have a new stand show up right on top of me. The best was a couple years ago when just before muzzy season I had a ladder stand show up not 25 yards from me and pretty much directly in front of my stand. I actually dropped two does from my stand that year and on both I had to shoot across the front of this guys stand to get the deer (NO, he was not hunting it at the time!)!

In cases where someone has set up on me, I've always left notes for the other guy with my contact info and be able to work out a plan for both of us to hunt the spot. I don't get too bent over it because at the end of the day I don't have any more right to a spot than the next guy. It would be nice though if the courtesy that I was taught to show for other hunters was reciprocated every now and then.

·
Registered
946 Posts
A stand doesn't give anyone rights to an area. I use climbers in state land, I won't set up on top of someone and I go to a different area if I see a truck or someone there, but I won't not hunt an area with the climber because someone has a stand up.
x2

Also, I recently put up a ladder stand within two hundred yards of another ladder stand. I drive by the spot all the time and noticed that the pre-existing stand was almost never used. I actually met the guy while I was walking out from putting it up. I introduced myself and let him know where my stand is, and assured him that I wouldn't be using it if I saw he was there. He was very cool about it.

·
Registered
7,176 Posts
first come first to hunt on the day of the hunt-its that simple

·
Registered
8,475 Posts
i only hunt private land... heres where im confused if i was to hunt public.

I went out opening weekend and ended up shooting a buck. (im on private land, but lets just say i was on public land)..

I didnt hunt for nearly 2 months waiting for my permit buck tag! so for that 2 months my stand was there. I had all intentions of going back to it for permit bow season, but that doesnt mean others should have to stay out of the area for the 2 months i was not hunting it...

I feel that if a guy is hunting state land, they should have to leave their phone # on their treestand if they want to leave it in the woods.

OR

Tie a ribbon on the base of the tree so its obvious to other hunters, and each time they visit the stand they should have to write the date on the ribbon... that way if someone finds a stand, sees a ribbon and sees the date is either last week or last year, they would know weather they are moving in on someones spot or not...

Just my thoughts.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Bottom line is that the land is public. If I want to hunt a spot, as long as the other hunter is not there, I am going to set up regardless of where his stand is. If he is already there then I will not hunt the spot out of courtesy.

Also, not a big fan of leaving stands up on public land. The idea of someone else using it or stealing it just grinds my gears. Not to mention, leaving it up gives my spot away. I know when I see another stand up it always makes me take a second look over the spot.

·
Registered
333 Posts
if it looks active i give them space, if it looks like its been there for seasons its far game. shot two of my nicest deer on public land out of a climber, with a hang on stand 50 yards away with its chain growing into the tree.

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
You're not supposed to leave your stand on wma anyway. I always give stands I see space, but some areas if been hunting with my climber for a long time and then a ladder shows up. I get a little frustrated, but I've never seen another hunter use it

·
Registered
80 Posts
although I wouldn't want to hunt a spot where someone else has been hunting enough to leave a stand, solely for the purpose of pressure on the deer, I wouldn't hesitate to do it if I felt it would pay off. It's public land and I paid for my license just like the guy with the stand up. If the etiquette is to not hunt a spot where you see a stand they we might as well post chunks of wma areas as our own.

·
Registered
511 Posts
I have hunt on WMA land and in some places I have seen stands setup and left there for YEARS .The F'N stands are in an area I would like to hunt. Just because someone leaves there stand on "PUBLIC LAND " doesn't give you the right to "OWN " that spot ![wallmad][wallmad]

·
Registered
6,690 Posts
I have hunt on WMA land and in some places I have seen stands setup and left there for YEARS
Same here and a couple cases, I've never seen anyone in the stands. Last time out I was lazy so i decided to take the steeper, more treacherous route to a spot (mistake) and along a steep ridge I find two ladderstands set up 50 yds from each other but around a bend so both guys can hunt but neither can see each other [hihi] thought that was funny if both were actually oblivious to each other.

I personally move on if I see someones set but that's rare as I tend to go deeper or in the harder to reach areas, like the deer.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Point is it's public land and there's nobody that can claim a spot, it's first come first serve. I have my ladder stand set up roughly 4 miles off a main road in colliers mills thinking I'm away from everybody and I'm safe back there and even way back there ive gone back to my stand and had fellow hunters come back within 100yards of me, you just gotta deal with it [eyeroll]

·
Registered
17,902 Posts
I'll bite.....Kuz please show us all where its illegal to leave a stand up on WMAs.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts