New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't been out yet at all this year, but I'd like to get a stand up before Thanksgiving on public land. The spot I'm looking at is a little out of the way, but obviously I wouldn't go charging in if I see a truck parked there. Since I don't want to be the subject of a complaint post-I figured I'd ask a little advice [rofl] What's the best time to get out there? 12:00 Noon? I would think most morning sitters would be out or on their way out by that time and afternoon sitters wouldn't be on their way in yet. Planning on doing it during the week which should help too.

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
On public land, don't leave a stand up. Use a climber and have two or three locations scouted out. And when it is time to hunt, go where there is no one parked. You will be alone and you will not screw anyone's else's setup.

·
Banned
722 Posts
Crap shot!! I've been scouting one area for a couple months, saw 0 people... Went hunting Saturday, climbed the freaks tree, don't a see a truck parked in a area where there was a "Prohibited" sign... Needless to say I caught up on some sleep 15ft up the air with no distractions unfortunately!!

·
Registered
4,683 Posts
i am debateing the same thing, i want to hang a stand and do some scouting for muzzle loader. i am going to wait another week or two. this way their will be less guys.[ lockdown ] and hopfully less ticks. also should be more fresh sign , rubs. scrapes.

·
Registered
8,512 Posts
It's public land. Do what ever the hell you want. That's what everyone else does. [confusedagain]

·
Registered
750 Posts
I just went and moved my stands yesterday but I did it around 11 and was out by 1 seen one car in the parking lot but not sure if it was a hunted or hiker..but I also knew where I was going to move my stands to and walked from one location to the other, I didn't walk around on circles looking for a spot....it is public land you can try to be as courteous as you want but if anyone is around they'll still b&[email protected]*

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
I'd go in after 9. Honestly, most guys don't go to far from their vehicle. No trucks in the area I'd go. It is public land.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I hunt strictly public land. I usually get out at 10am-10:30 early season maybe a little latter during the rut. I also get in about 1 on evening sits. Safe bet is if you don't see any vehicles your golden. I do hunt with a climber on state land and agree with the previous comment of pick a few locations out and use a climber. You'll have to buy less stands and it gives you alternate locations as back up in the event your spot is compromised some way. Good luck

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
I go and scout when ever i want. If you think you are OK by not seeing any cars, but don't realize someone parked on the backside and walked in thinking they are going deep. 6 in one of a half dozen in the other.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts