New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took my boy out today to do my last planting of the day. He worked his butt off getting a foodplot in. First, we cleared the ground of the corn stalks and ears. Then, spread the lime and fertilizer. I then took my tractor over and tilled up the section, about 2 acres in size and shaped like an L, right between standing corn and the woods. We then used a scratch harrow to smooth it out, put down a couple acres worth of soybean seeds, oats, landino clover, and brassica's. My 11 year old did most of that with a walk behind spreader. Then I used the harrow to cover it lightly just before the rain started. I was proud of my boy working that hard, but he knows the pay off will come when he is sitting over it for his first season this year. We have a ground blind at one end, a stand in the corner of the L and another stand on the other end of the L.

Ken, if you're reading this, the plot is in the northern field, and goes around the corner from my ground blind to the ladder stand, all along the cedars. Someone drove through the corn and tore it up, so I went and talked to Harvey...was going to pay him for the seed he used because I felt bad, but he said it was no big deal. I think it might have been John going in to get his ladder stand back because that is where it was all knocked down. I told Harvey I was going to plant something in the damaged area, and he was okay with that. We could probably do something in the southern field by your ladder stand if you want. He said he would leave a few rows standing for us too.

If you are going down to the farm, give me a shout and I'll meet you there.

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Good job NJB. Good luck to you and your boy.

·
Registered
12,261 Posts
Doug,tell your son good job!I was down there briefly this past weekend w/ my kids but didn't make it past the driveway up near where the boats were.I forgot my Permanone and didn't want my kids to get ticks/chiggers so we didn't actually get to do much.
Should have gotten in touch w/ me and I would have gladly helped you out down there.Did John take his ladder stand? I actually tried to call him last week and left a msg buy he never got back to me.Doug,shoot me an email([email protected]) so we can try and coordinate our efforts down there at the farm...

·
Registered
6,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ken, buy whatever seed you want to plant for about an acre and I'll try to get the ground ready while I still have the trailer. There was a spot down in the corner by your ladder stand, and up the edge of the little island of trees where I have that portable where, the corn didn't do very well. We can get something in there, but it should be done this weekend...getting close to season now.

On a down note, I haven't been seeing any deer there, yet. I had two cameras out for a month and only got one deer picture. Although I haven't really looked around the southern field much, all my scouting and cameras have been in the area of the northen field where I was setting up for me and Kyle. There were very few tracks in the dirt and the corn showed almost no deer damage. Harvey said they have been hitting his other field across the road real hard. Maybe planting something will bring them in for us.

If you do get through to John, tell him his stands will be out near the gate. I'm going to pull them this weekend

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.