New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I tried it last year, but really to just get rid of a fox going after the chickens. But I want to give it a try again. I am also building my own version of a E-caller.

Now my question in what do you guys do with the animals once you have them?

Also with a E caller do you turn down the volume as they get closer or just start it at one volume and leave it?

·
Registered
12,709 Posts
I was in the same boat. Fox were killing chickens left and right. Tried shooting them but time consuming and innefective. I got a trapper from the forums. 7 fox so far have been snared within 40ft of the coop.

If you want to hunt them you need 2 different calls. You need a long range call to get them coming. Then a squeeker when they get in close.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Been reading about predator calling a bit recently and on foxpro's site I just read in one of the articles that calling with the volume too loud is one of the biggest mistakes people make. look for the article area and do some reading pretty cool info.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
i reccomend any call by foxpro.Also get yourself a mojo critter decoy or one of foxpro's decoys.This is my first year doing it and i've already called in a fox while messing with my foxpro firestorm.

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
join the New Jersey Fur harvesters or NJ trappers association and the have auctions or send the fur to a big auction. there are also fur buyers in the state. if you want to pm me for who is in your area. They will buy in the round, green or finished. Gunned fur will not bring the price that trapped will but it get a little. when calling always start off low and work up in volume. if you are in good fox country they are easy to call. I rather call fox in the day light first and last hour.But night is more fun.

·
Registered
10,462 Posts
Skin'm, flesh'm, stretch'm, sell,m.
I haven't trapped since I was a kid and then it was muskrats.

Where do you get a coyote sized strecher?

I assume you skin a 'yote the same as a muscrat,that is, a$$ over head....I guess you also skin the tail.....What do you do with the ears?...is there any skinning video available? How much does "T" sized shot holes detract from the pelt price?

·
Registered
14,640 Posts
Google ' fur strechers' and you will get lots of results.
Yes...Practically all critters are skinned a$$ over head with the exception of Beaver. The tail bone gets pulled and the tail split open.
As far as ears..Some trappers remove the cartilage but I wasn't taught that way and most buyers don't care one way or the other.
Fox and Coyotes are put on the strechers with the fur side in, till just about dry (24 hours or so )then they are ' turned', Fur side out. Since the holes from T shot are not visible, no deduction is usually made. Wash out any blood from the pelt.
Another thing I like to do is comb the fur upwards (opposite the way it lays) As soon as it is turned and then once completely dry and removed from the stretcher, I comb it back down. I believe it gives the fur a fuller apprearance.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.