New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a young kid I have been mentoring this winter. Showing him the ropes with ice fishing, trapping and lately predator hunting. The last 5 times we have been out ( 2 night sits, 3 daytime) I have called in 7 bobcats! Makes for a great show, watching these felines creep in like ninjas but haven't had a yote or Fox respond. I just have been calling not bringing a gun, makes him feel special he's the shooter. It has been.awesome to watch these cats hunt but this kids finger is itchy. Back on the ice weekend and then some sleet shooting for him so he can unload some rounds. Bringing a kid adds a whole new aspect to the experience. Watching him see things for the first time, learning, asking questions. It's been great. But damn these cats. We are covered up in them by me!

·
Registered
6,592 Posts
They are pretty cool to looks at. Do you think they can take down a deer like a yote can ?

·
Registered
714 Posts
Thats awesome! They really are cool animals to see in the wild. [up] Great thing you're doing for the kid! I've been trying to wrestle my little cousin away from the xbox to repay my uncle for all the time he spent with me in the woods. So far no luck but I'm determined to atleast get him to give it a shot.

·
Registered
7,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes especially in deep snow. They are killers. It's,funny the one came right into the decoy, kid was like can I Shoot yet? NOOOOO! Haha.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Taking your time to pass it on. Good carma . Ihope he gets a shot.

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
Its a bobcat! You cant choot them! Dum dum

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes Scott thank you. I know that and so does he. Remember when you were 14 and to kill everything that moves? That's where he is. Hence the mentoring.

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
Yes Scott thank you. I know that and so does he. Remember when you were 14 and to kill everything that moves? That's where he is. Hence the mentoring.
This was towards "deer piss"comment...
And hell, I wish I was in georgia.. was handed a .223 and was told to shoot anything that moves. 30,000 acres of private land.

·
Registered
7,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yea,that's,what this kid needs!I think well do some crow hunting this weekend as well!

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
All kids need that when starting out.. just to get it out of their system

·
Registered
14,640 Posts
Great job with the mentoring ! That's awesome !

As far as the number of cats in the northern part of the state....Trenton ain't got a clue.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I'm not a hunter, so don't bite my head off, but...Wow! I'd love to see one some day. But I thought they supposedly weren't in NJ anymore, just a sighting in CT a year or two ago? Do they live in the mountains, or the woods, or what?

·
Registered
984 Posts
courtniec proves why so many people think they see Mountain Lions when in all reality its a bobcat. Not trying to get on your case, but a mountain lion (like the one killed in CT) is totally different from a bobcat.....a mountain lion is 80 to 150lbs looks exactly like a female african lion for the most part.....a bobcat is a totally different creature....20 to 40lbs short "bobbed" tail hence the name....mountain lions have huge tails around 4 ft long.......also mountain lions have something like over a hundred names that they alternatively are called all over the country....cougar, panther, painter, devil cat, etc.

·
Registered
66 Posts
courtniec proves why so many people think they see Mountain Lions when in all reality its a bobcat. Not trying to get on your case, but a mountain lion (like the one killed in CT) is totally different from a bobcat.....a mountain lion is 80 to 150lbs looks exactly like a female african lion for the most part.....a bobcat is a totally different creature....20 to 40lbs short "bobbed" tail hence the name....mountain lions have huge tails around 4 ft long.......also mountain lions have something like over a hundred names that they alternatively are called all over the country....cougar, panther, painter, devil cat, etc.
Thanks for the clarification. I had no idea the difference and thought they were the same.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts