New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone find me a link or any statement that say sheds are illegal in Nj i have a [email protected]# a#$ telling me the sheds i found i need a tag. i know your allowed to have sheds in your possession just looking for some concete info
Thanks For The Help!!!

·
Registered
236 Posts
The game code states that you must posess a tag when keeping any parts of a deer. I started saving all my tags since I have many antlers in my garage. YES, if they want to be technical, without a LEGAL posession tag, the deer was poached.

·
Registered
12,261 Posts
how can you have a tag when you just found the shed laying in the woods? doesn't make sense. anyone can tell the difference from a dropped shed and one that was sawed off at the bases.

·
Registered
12,261 Posts
its legal to possess shed antlers. they changed the code a few years back. the law is in title 7. there is a post about a year ago where i posted they code.
good,that makes sense.can you post a link to the thread?

·
Registered
15,556 Posts
Shed antlers do not require tags. However it is illegal to take a skull with antlers attached out of the woods without using your tag. Shed hunting is 100 percent legal in NJ and it has NEVER been required to tag sheds. TOTAL BS on who ever told you thats part

·
Registered
236 Posts
Page 33 of the 2008 Fish and Wildlife Digest states: After checking your deer-Possession/Sale
Metal possession seals must be kept until all venison is consumed and as long as you keep any part or parts, including antlers.
If there is an exception to this as stated by jkinlan above, then I am not aware of it and you should look into it further. Why not just call a regional C.O. office and ask.

·
Registered
8,185 Posts
Page 33 of the 2008 Fish and Wildlife Digest states: After checking your deer-Possession/Sale
Metal possession seals must be kept until all venison is consumed and as long as you keep any part or parts, including antlers.
That is correct if you shoot a deer, but is not the rule of law for possession of sheds. If it is, every county's environmental center is in direct violation as they all have sheds on display as do state buildings like the Pequest hatchery, etc. What about all of us who have a deer mounted on our walls? Is the metal tag still affixed to your antlers? Mine neither...

·
Registered
236 Posts
Hey guys, I am only telling you what I see in black and white. Those of you who are saying otherwise should show it in black and white also. I am trying to help here not cause problems.

·
Banned
1,843 Posts
It is legal to possis sheds as long as the the base is rounded at the bottone where the antler fell off the skull and that is as per a C O friend of mine

·
Registered
16,174 Posts
That's for hunted deer not sheds. Shed hunting became legal years ago.

This is a quote from the state outstanding deer program
4. All aspects of the Boone and Crockett Club's official scoring system are used for this program. A 60-day drying period (at normal room temperature with all flesh and membranes removed) is required before any official measurement can be made. Split or repaired skulls and shed antlers are not eligible. Hunters should first perform a "rough" score measurement to determine if the deer meets the minimum score (see below).
If Shed antler's were illegal to possess they wouldn't even have to mention them.

·
Registered
236 Posts
What about all of us who have a deer mounted on our walls? Is the metal tag still affixed to your antlers? Mine neither...
The code on page 33 states further: Persons with deer mounts should write their name, legal possession seal number, date of kill and season of harvest on the back for future reference.

Once again guys, I am only telling you what I see in black and white. I know these regs seem ridiculous but nonetheless, they are the LAW and if there is an exception to this for SHEDS than great, but I still have not seen it in WRITING.

·
Registered
14,640 Posts
What about all of us who have a deer mounted on our walls? Is the metal tag still affixed to your antlers? Mine neither...
The Taxidemist that I use, requires you to summit the tag with the rack and cape, He then staples it to the back of the mount.

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yes you can buy them go to ebay or the Pennsy show they have tables of them for sale. It is just illegal in jersey There was a full size deer mount on ebay for a Buy it now of $500 out in Ohio

1 - 20 of 24 Posts