New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I took my pointer out to train on live birds and I had the bird in a small cage that I could hide under the grass in an overgrown field. He finds the bird and gets near it and points. And then after about 20-30 seconds he lunges at it knocking the cage around like a soccer ball. This is my first bird dog so I don't have much experience. Is there something I'm doing wrong or is it something that takes a little while. I've had him on birds in a launcher last fall and he did fine. Just curious as to why he's doing that. Thanks for your help. ~Dylan

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Has he been whoa broke? What program are you following? Just because he is a "pointer" doesn't not mean he knows how to not chase down or break on a live bird. That's your job to teach him. Lots of fly always are the only way I know to steady up a pointer. Bird only gets shot if it's pointed and flushed by handler otherwise dog watches it fly away

·
Registered
116 Posts
A surf rod with a small stuffed animal and pheasant wings taped on it works well I read. If he charges in you yank it away. If he stays foe a minute you toss it and he can bring it back. Like I said I only read about it

·
Registered
790 Posts
Do some research online. Lots of articles out there and forums to look into. Most all dogs will charge in and give chase if allowed to. Stopping and holding still/point is a learned behavior. It's all about the conditioning of the dog.

·
Premium Member
3,808 Posts
Put that dog on as many birds as possible. After he flushes enough he will get the idea that he can't rush in.
I had a trainer tell me my dog wouldn't point so I took him home and worked with him myself on birds almost daily.
A year and a half later and my dog will hunt and point and hold with the best of them.
Everyone always says "get a trainer"
Well I'm here to tell you do your homework and get a trainer that works with your specific breed and doesn't force dogs to point with shock collars.

Dogs are like people they all have a distinct personality. They are not robots and cant be programmed.
The programming is us and repetition...

Be patient, get him on alot of birds and your dog will be fine...

·
Registered
234 Posts
Check cord and birds. It took about 8 sessions before my vizsla realized he had to whoa in order to get the bird after the shot. There are a lot of trainers out there that are too scared to ruin their reputation by not fixing a dog. Find a NAVHDA group and call them. There you can learn from multiple people and see multiple ways of correction/training. This is my first pointer and joining a club helped me so much. I now have a pup that hunts hard and points like a statue.... The same pup a trainer wouldn't take on because my dog didn't show enough "drive"

·
Registered
111 Posts
A surf rod with a small stuffed animal and pheasant wings taped on it works well I read. If he charges in you yank it away. If he stays foe a minute you toss it and he can bring it back. Like I said I only read about it
X2

A small rag on the end of a surf rod you can handle with one hand and control the dog with the other. Twitch the rag ever so slowly, and at the same
time issue a whoa/check cord to prevent them from flushing until told to. This work great with my dogs. Everyone's other suggestions are all good as well.

·
Registered
9,604 Posts
Yes, that's what I used to do. If you yank it away each time they go for it then eventually they see the futility of it (I hope). Good luck.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Dylan -

There are lots of ways to get from here to there with a bird dog. However, continuing to do what you are doing, the way you are doing it... will get you into trouble. Guaranteed.

I am also not a fan of wing on a string for anything older than about a ten week old puppy, and then only once or twice.

Before I suggest anything, I would like to know how old your dog is and how much, and what type of yard training it has.

If you wish to discuss, you can PM me. I will help you if I can.

RayG

RayG

·
Registered
666 Posts
i have my 6 month old gsp with a guy in franklinville he comes highly recomended trains all pointers i tried to break him right but yoou really need to know alot about these dogs he judges field trials and trains dogs from all over he will have my dog for a month and he is very resonable pm me for his name number

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
i have my 6 month old gsp with a guy in franklinville he comes highly recomended trains all pointers i tried to break him right but yoou really need to know alot about these dogs he judges field trials and trains dogs from all over he will have my dog for a month and he is very resonable pm me for his name number

is it dominic?

·
Registered
1 Posts
rdfhunter is right ......training season is at it's end but NAVHDA is the way to go.....got my first dog almost 2 years ago and they have been great helping with training

·
Registered
133 Posts
Navhda is indeed a good way to learn more about training a dog.

I would indeed go to a training day to watch and learn. I would however, leave the dog home for two reasons. Reason one is so you can concentrate on what the others are doing and how they are doing it.

Two is because you will most likely see some things that you want to do with your dog and some things you will NOT want to try with your dog...at least not right now. Folks are generally eager to help and it might not be so easy to keep folks from "helping" you and your dog in ways that you might not be comfortable with.

If there are ten members there, it is quite probable that you will see eight or more different ways to do things.

RayG

Go watch, ask questions, learn.

·
Registered
956 Posts
is it dominic?
I have a 14 month old GSP that I got about 7 weeks ago from a guy who couldn't keep her any longer. He had her at Dominic's for 2 months a while ago. I spent the last 6 weeks in the yard and a few times out in Assunpink just establishing a bond/relationship with her so that when we are afield this Fall she knows who I am and listens. Had her out last weekend with a friend and his GSP's on live birds working them separately and then together. She exceed my expectations and remembered her training. I have not met Dominic but have spoken with him and would highly recommend him. I also believe having had other dogs over the years that repetition is necessary and establishing that relationship with your dog helps in the training sessions.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts