New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Poachers last night seen dragging deer out of wooded area behind houses last night, near wear I work. Why can't some people play by the rules? If I can't do it, neither should you. any thoughts

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
how do you know it wasnt leagally shot and the dragged out late?
Good question.

·
Registered
9,467 Posts
I helped track an 8 pointer for a buddy of mine last week, and didn't find it until almost midnight ( bad shot placement ). We were behind a group of houses , and I'm sure that, seeing our flashlights, they might have thought the same thing. So I agree, until all the facts are in, let us not judge.

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
Heres two hypothetical questions that relate to this subject.

Say you shoot a deer on a WMA just before dark, and feel you need to wait before tracking. WMA's close at 9pm, unless engaged in lawful hunting. So my question is; Are you allowed to track the deer after 9pm? Im assuming you can not carry a weapon if you are allowed to track. Would that assumption be correct?

Second question;

Say you shoot a deer and once again you feel as though waiting is the best thing to do. You come back in the morning to find that someone else has found "your" deer and taken it. Is it right for that other person to take your deer? Some people say yes because they dont know if you left it to waste, they are just salvaging it. Some say no, because it was not harvested by them. I wont say how I feel, just curious as to what you guys think.

My friend actually had something very similar to this happen to him. He shot a deer, it ran down the mountain, and when he came upon it, someone else was tagging it. The game warden sided with the people who found the deer dead.[down] It was a beautiful ten pointer.

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
If I found a dead deer in the woods I wouldn't touch.

B

·
0 Posts
well back in 2001 I shot a 8 pointer on Saturday, the next day (SUNDAY) I went back to look for it, and I took my bow with me. I felt I needed the bow with me if I had to put the deer down and not suffer anymore so I was doing the ethical thing, but in the eyes of the state I would be breaking the law. So was I right or wrong?

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
Well, if you were unsure of the hit, and thought the deer could still be alive, you did the right thing. If you brought the bow "just incase" you saw another big buck, then youd be wrong.

(Im not saying thats why you brought it BHC, Im just thinking some people could use that reason to hunt on Sunday) Thats the whole reason we need rules like this, dishonest people.

Ethically, you did the right thing, lawfully you were wrong. Oh well....Tell them to cuff you for caring about the animal.

·
Registered
16,174 Posts
1. you're allowed to track your deer after hours, just not allowed to carry any weapons.

2. The law requires you to tag your deer imeadiately upon killing it, Before doing anything else. On public land it's first come first serve. There's alot of unethical A-hoes out there. I've lost 2 deer due to the fact they didn't drop on the spot and I had to trail and try to finish them off. Both were killed by another hunter within 75 yds of where I shot. One guy shot and wounded 2 deer and stayed in his stand and shot the one I was about to finish. He never tried to find the others, He told me too. I tried but lost the blood in the swamp after 2 hours.[mad] I would have loved to teach him some etiquette that day.;) But he put on the killing shot.
The wind up is if you killed it then your tag will be on it if not someone else's will be.[down]

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
But he put on the killing shot.
You have a point there. I feel if I shoot and it runs off and someone else puts it down it is theres. They dealt the fatal shot. However, I do think that if you shoot and know you hit one or even if you think you may have it is your responsiblity to track it. Don't shoot anything else. Jerseyhunter that guy was wrong.
I have only not tracked one once and that was because someone sent a slug over my head and started yelling at me. I shoot into a ravine at a deer. They run up andhe thinks I am shooting at him and he takes a shot a me. (sorry little tanjent there). I felt sick the rest of the day. However, my buddy and I attempted to track anothers because he didn't want to. That is just wrong.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
In westfield, union county there is no hunting. only peoples backyards. and a friend of mine who is LE told me the garbage men called it in at 3am. saw people trying to drag a deer out of the woods behind some area where they are building new homes.

·
Registered
545 Posts
I KNOW THAT AREA AND THERE ARE SOME NICE DEER IN THERE - MY BUDDY WORKS FOR MEYER AND DEPEW HEATING AND AIR AND THEY WERE WORKING ON A HOUSE BACK IN THAT AREA THE OTHER DAY AND A HUGE 6 OR 8 CAME WALKING OUT ON THE GUYS LAWN AND HE SAID - HE IS ALWAYS AROUND THE SAME TIME EACH DAY

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
It still doesn't they were poaching. Are you certain there is a no hunting ordinance on the books? If it is going to be developed the developed could have granted permission to hunt there and any of what was stated before could be true.
I understand your source is in law enforcement, but sometimes they don't know all the ordinances either. You would be surprised at how many officers where I work don't know it is legal to hunt in town. The only thing that is prohibited if no shot larger that #4 fine and rifle cartridges. I am not saying your source is wrong, but it is still possible the deer was taken legally.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts