New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought that this would be some good information for the young hunters and those new to the sport.

We as deer hunters are aware of the wind and it's effects on our scent. But, we rarely look at it as a technique to locate game.

As humans when we are outdoors for any length of time, we almost alway by instinct try to get out of the wind. Well, all wildlife practice this hide from the wind game.

Deer hide in cedar and pine thichets, bottomlands, lee-ward side of hills and mountains. Approaching these locations from downwind will eliminate most of the noise and scent you make getting in to your stand.

Waterfowl land and stool on and around points and pockets where the wind and waves are less in force. For the field hunter, get down in the gulleys between two high points in the field, geese flock there on wind howling days.

Upland birds tend to stay in deep pockets of reeds and pines. Plan your hunt so you flush them into the wind, this plan lets you get closer, before they flush and makes it harder for them to escape because their take off is hampered by the wind. If you use a dog, this method allows them to hunt better as the scent is carried to their nose.

Just a few things to think about to make your hunting more successful.

Ryan

All Rights Reserved. Copyrights (c) 2005 Wild Outdoorsmen Media, LLC

G

·
I never play the wind, I thing the key to hunting is TRYING to be as scent FREE as you can. I never understood what they mean HUNT the WIND. Where I hunt the wind just swirls around the mountains, ravins, etc. everytime I hunt the weather guy would say the wind from one direction, I get in my treestand and it's coming from a different direction. Now if I'm stalking then playing the wind can be used

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
i actually dont like to stalk directly from the downwind side, id rather quarter up wind if possible. deer can smell you if your upwind, but often times are laying down facing downwind. id rather attempt to angle at them.. in my mind it helps..

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
i actually dont like to stalk directly from the downwind side, id rather quarter up wind if possible. deer can smell you if your upwind, but often times are laying down facing downwind. id rather attempt to angle at them.. in my mind it helps..
I agree with that. They normally bed with the wind at their back, and their eyes pinned on where they cant smell. The ears just keep rotating around at every sound.:)

A great point was brought up about using the wind to locate the game too. I agree that deer (all wildlife) seek shelter from cold winds. Find those areas, and you usually find the wildlife. Staying out of the cold wind helps them conserve energy. Another thing that is harder to locate is a thermaclime.(sp?) An area that is actually warmer than the surrounding areas. Pockets of warmer air settle in small depressions on mountain sides, or in gullies, etc. They arent easy to find, but if its EXTREMELY COLD out, and you know where one is, you can bet that wildlife will be taking advantage of the extra few degrees of warmth.

Thanks for sharing that WildWork, Im sure someone will gain some knowledge from that write up!![up]:)

·
Registered
14,076 Posts
I hunt in a large hardwood area. The majority of deer movement will be into the wind so they can smell you before they would see you. Which ever direction it is blowing they like it in there face-focus most of your treestand attention downwind and hope you are scent free. If the wind is at there back and they smell you they will circle to get your scent in the wind so they can pinpoint your exact position-time for a bath and move the stand.

·
Registered
18,010 Posts
Most mature animals travel with the wind at there back so they can see ahead. Mostly they will quarter in the wind to cover more territory with there sences.Sent free is the key I try to play it. I sweer by natural cover sents like scent sheild and related that nutralizes your sent.With the amount of years in the bush I have experianced many variables though so on any given day it can change.Try to be adaptive in you pursuit.While working the dog I always try to work into the wind because then the dog will have the advantage and pick up the scent usally before the site.I have learned not all things are written in stone on any given day.Higher elivations are much differant than flat land as well as hills and crowns.So if the wind is swirling and it will and your clean then there is a better advantage.How many times have you had a deer walk up to you? Do you really think that they didn't know you were there? Its all in your approach especialy for a foot hunter who has to learn to be slick. We are the predators and that's why our eyes are in the front of our face not to the side as animals.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.