New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I already have my FID and got 3 permits a little less than two years ago. In honor of our Governor, I was going to swing by the local PD tomorrow and put in for a few more permits. I called first to double check the fees and whatnot.

I asked if the Chief requires fingerprinting again, since the law states it's up to his discretion if you have an FID and got permits before. The nice lady informed me to bring the regular FID/permit form (knew that), the mental health check form (knew that too), a check for the permits (knew that), an $18 money order for the SBI, and the SBI form.

Do any of you know what SBI form she is talking about? The only ones I see on the NJSP are the Sagem Morpho forms and I don't think I need those.

Maybe there is no form since I know most people just bring the $18 for the background check, but I wanted to make sure first. Man this stuff is confusing sometimes.

Thanks all.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't know. She said I should come and I may need to be fingerprinted again (why I don't know) but the forms in the link are if you are actually going to Sagem Morpho to be printed. All she said was "the form". She didn't say get fingerprinted and bring us everything.

·
Super Moderator
12,370 Posts
if you havent gotten finger prints in the last 2 years you need to be printed again they said to me when i got my permits a month ago...they are doing everything through the computers now so thats why you need to be finger printed again.!

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okay, I was printed about 2 years ago. Considering she said "may" I'm going to stop by tomorrow with everything I have and see what they say. If I need to be printed again, so be it.

Thanks for the help, all.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just wanted to update this thread with the information I got today at the local Police Station.

I know from various threads on here that some people are being re-printed when they go to apply for pistol permits, or have been told that if they haven't been printed in the last two years that it would be re-done.

Well, I stopped by the local PD about 11:30 this morning. The nice lady behind the counter took my applications as well as my mental health check form and payments and looked them over. She then stated that I didn't have the other form. I asked what form that was and she retrieved one from the filing cabinet. It is a 212A form. It is basically a form that has you give permission to the police to do a background check.

So, she took my application forms, I signed the mental health check form and gave it to her, and I also filled out the 212A form, signed it and gave it back to her. She put everything together and said that they would call when the permits were ready. She also asked if there was an answering machine so that if I wasn't home they could leave a message.

Here is the best part. As I left I asked her if I needed to be re-printed that I assume you would just call me. She said, very confidently, that I would not need to be re-printed. She stated that I had an FID and had been through the process already, which meant that my prints are already on file and there would be no need to do another set. I then stated that I wasn't sure because I had heard that they might be re-done since printing had gone electronic and she said no.

Hope this helps since it seems to me that other stations are maybe doing things differently, and I think it helps when there is as much info about the process as possible out there.

·
Registered
747 Posts
That was the Name Check form is the NJSP I listed .... I should have highlighted it.

Anyway, sounds like you are talking to the right person. Nice to know what the facts are. [up] In my small township it is the Detective Bureau Secretary that handles it all, then presents everything to the chief for his signature She is very knowledgeable, diligent, and helpful .... much like the person that helped you. I know not to waste my time talking to anyone else.

Any particular handguns you're looking at? I guess your a 1911 fan (I have two myself).

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Coot, you are absolutely right, it pays to talk to the right person. For the life of me, I saw the name check section on NJSP but couldn't seem to find the form to download, now I realize I can just pick one up at the PD when I need it.

As far as what I'm looking at. I have a few things in mind. Looking at maybe picking up a commander length 1911 to go with my government model, also looking at a S&W MP compact in .45 or a Glock 30 with the slim frame and lastly, a small snubnose revolver in .38 or .357.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Nice variety of handguns you're considering. Guns are good, clean fun.

I also have a goverment issue 1911 .... and a Springfield Loaded 1911. I do some friendly competition with both.

I think you'll find that revolvers chambered for .357mag .... also handle .38 without adjustment. I have a Ruger GP-100 medium frame model. Its nice to shoot the .357's, then load up some .38's for smaller or younger shooters, or to save some money. Ruger also makes a smaller frame revolver .... SP101.

Good luck.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks. I think they're good clean fun too.

I've got my 1911, a Springfield XD Tactical in 9mm and a Smith 686 revolver in .357.

The reason for the small revolver is that the wife has no trouble with the 1911 or the 9mm, but her hands are too small for the trigger reach on the revolver, and she'd really like to learn to shoot all my guns. I was thinking of an SP101, but got to admit I'm a S&W man and am seriously considering an Airweight 637. With some light loads she should be fine.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.