New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
6,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had many an afternoon bowhunt spoiled due to illegal quad riders in the WMA near me so I hope they confiscate them all now if caught on public land once the park is opened up. If people dont have private property to ride on then why do they buy them in the first place. You dont buy a boat if you live in the desert...

Pinelands group pushes laws for ATVs
Sunday, August 02, 2009
By Christina Paciolla
[email protected]

MONROE TWP. The Pinelands Municipal Council, a group of officials representing Pinelands' communities that work with the Pinelands Commission regarding legislature, have again approved a resolution calling for off-road vehicle laws.

"There is no legislation out there controlling ATV (all-terrain vehicle) use and as a result, we've got open space and public lands getting torn up by local ATV riders," said Anthony Mazzella, secretary of the council.

Advertisement

Monroe Township Councilman Frank Caligiuri said that talks with the township regarding land for an ATV park aren't dead, but some deals would need to be made in order for all parties to be satisfied. Caligiuri said that in order for the Pinelands Commission to use Monroe's land for a park, they would need to give the township some commercial area along the Black Horse Pike.

The Pinelands Municipal Council's recent call for off-road vehicle legislation also included a resolution for the enforcement of illegal off-road vehicle riding. The former had been introduced to state legislature last year. Assemblyman Paul Moriarty, D-Washington Township, is one of the sponsors of the bill and said that action will not be taken during summer session.

"We will try to get more action in Trenton on ATV legislation," said Mazzella, "both for establishing some law that forbids their use on pubic properties and registration issues."

Mazzella went on to say that "these things can't go riding through our front yards."

The New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection agrees.

Darlene Yuhas, a spokesperson for the DEP said that the department's conservation officers in the southern region, which Monroe Township is a part of, are conscientious about illegal ATV driving and are scouting locations for a park.

"We are currently involved in looking for a suitable location and the Monroe site is still under consideration," Yuhas said. "We do recognize an interest to have such a site."

·
Registered
7,795 Posts
I dont ride during hunting season nor ever on WMA's but I do ride and don't have private land. Sometimes you gotta do what ya gotta do in this anti motorsport of a state. I register and insure so hopefully I only get fined.

If people dont have private property to ride on then why do they buy them in the first place.
Its true many buy and they wind up selling them.
Why does the state allow the sale of them is more like it? Well we all know so they can make money in some form or way from the sales.

·
Registered
5,415 Posts
there has been a few pushes to turn the Sahara Land into a park. they ride it now anyway.
it would help out the local wma's if they did open it.

·
Registered
6,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Are they riding under you?Get off the trail a littel and you wont see them.
I'm off the trail your can still hear them a mile a way. Me and my buddy call the C/O almost everytime we're at the WMA and the come right away most of the time but they take off and elude them. The one C/O jumped out in the middle of the road trying to stop the guy and he tore right past him and the chased him all the way up to the highway until they disappeared . The c/o's def got a hot nut for them and I hope they get them all and confiscate thier stuff.

·
Registered
6,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
They are everywhere back there on every single backwoods winding trail. It's logistically impossible to get away from it trust me. I dont have the luxury of a private piece right now and am limited to a couple nearby WMA's that arent that big and reguardless ,I get a few lousy afternoons in the woods and shouldnt have to go out of my way to cater to a$$holes riding ILLEGALLY on state land. They shouldnt be there and thats all there is to it. Two illegal riders died from crashes on both WMA's in the last two years and If I heard one of these jackasses wrap themselves around a tree , I wouldnt even blink an eye and just continue on w my day like nothing happened. Call me cold hearted ,callous, or whatever, that's just the way I feel about them. When they open the riding park, I promise to never walk up in the middle of the track and start shooting skeets while everyone is riding.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
It blows my mind when someone is complaining about an illegal activity that is interfering with his legal activity, and people suggest he alters the way he does things. I fortunately don't have this problem where I hunt, but if I did I too would call the CO every time.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
and people suggest he alters the way he does things.
It was Just a sugestion the atvs will never stop as long as they keep selling them.Try not to blow your mind to much..[smoke]

·
Registered
747 Posts
Two illegal riders died from crashes on both WMA's in the last two years and If I heard one of these jackasses wrap themselves around a tree , I wouldnt even blink an eye and just continue on w my day like nothing happened. Call me cold hearted ,callous, or whatever, that's just the way I feel about them.
May they all, both young & old, Kiss a tree at 50mph.
Wow!
I guess you guys don't believe in God or Karma? [spy][hihi]

I would definitely do everything I could to help your kids if they were hurt, no matter what they were doing. Hey, but thats me.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I ride an atv.Yes unfortunatly illegally..I dont deny that.However I dont ride through known hunting areas or WMA's during hunting season on hunting days.It used to be that the rule of thumb was to go on sunday.Now we have bowhunting on sunday.So though I will still avoid WMA and known hunting areas the sunday bowhunters are going to run into problems more and more.NJ should set aside land in various places north south and central jersey for people to ride unrestricted.If they do that then the complaints would severely decrease

·
Registered
5,898 Posts
had a bunch at assunpink till they got caught they were riding thru the corn fields co waited at the truck hidden and got them[up][up][up] it would be good if a area was set aside for atvs so they could leave us alone strickly a atv park

1 - 20 of 57 Posts