New Jersey Hunters banner

Pine Barrens: Beginner looking for a guide

2K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  hunterbob1 
#1 ·
I'm new to the area (Gloucester county) and want to start hunting for deer for food. But really open to anything kind of game. I do not have a license but want to know the proper steps to get out there and start hunting. What do I need to get started for bow hunting? What kind of camo gear to get? Recommend an entry level crossbow?

Looking to tagalong with someone in the pine barrens and learn the ropes. I'm a 29 year old. Thanks all the help appreciated

#3 ·
You may find someone who will let you "tagalong". I wouldn't hold my breath, most folks treasure their spots, especially if it took time to find a truly productive area. It's not rocket science, use Google maps, find a promising area and get out there. You don't need much to get started, a good knife and boots to start. Plenty of reviews online for crossbows, narrow it down, go to a store that has in stock, or order online. With regard to camo, never believed in it, all you need are earth-tone colored clothing, stealth and some brains to use the wind to your favor.

Good luck.

#4 ·
Pinelands is a great place to start! Big woods to explore! Get a GPS! use it learn it your life could depend on it. I moved to the Pinelands after 30 years hunting in Sussex county.
You can and will get lost in the Pinelands . Mark your truck and take a walk in the woods. Find deer sign and mark that on your GPS .
Eventually you will have several potential locations to hunt. sit in each one and see what you see.
Hunting is a learning process and takes patience. Did I mention GET A GPS and learn how to use it LOL

#5 ·
Thank you. I will for sure get a GPS before heading out there. Don't want to get lost out there. The pines can be so disorienting. I think I will start going out in my backyard because I have woods there. I've never cleaned and butchered a deer but I guess Ill figure it out. Just gotta get out there.

Just figured I put a feeler for someone with some patience to show me the basics. Thanks!

#6 ·
Get the dvd and workbook from the state fish and game watch it do the workbook they’re are a few dates left to take the hunting test I think next Wednesday at south jersey shooting club in Winslow and next Sunday at interboro gun club.
You will learn a lot from the dvd and they show you how to gut a deer field dress.
I’m in south jersey as well where about in Gloucester county are you in

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.