New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
7,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know of any place in Northern jerz that hold these fish? Never caught one and would like to. And by northern i mean Sussex county or surrounding area. Thanks

·
Registered
4,236 Posts
This guy Demarco fishing Hopatcong he's da man[up]

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Monksville has Musky as well. Cranberry and budd lake have Pike.

·
Registered
15,556 Posts
Pompton Lake, Munksville Reservoir, Passaic River, Echo Lake to name a few.

·
Registered
7,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Next question would be how do you fish for these guys?

·
Registered
734 Posts
One shot,
Biggest musky to date for me was caught while I waited to pull my boat from the launch in the Gap, I think its called pocomox or something. I had seen some giant carp and threw out a piece of white bread balled up on a hook. The rod went screaming, and I caught and released a fish in the 20-30 pd. range.
They have big lures for those big fish but throwing them sure wears you out.
Try pike at Spruce Run with large shiners in anyone of the small coves while anchored, just use a wire leader.

·
Registered
7,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
fish of a thousands casts huh doesnt sound to promising ahah

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
Isnt there a saying "Musky the fish of a thousand casts"
I've heard that one for years myself, I'm guessing it was from someone who wasn't too good at catching Muskies.

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
NJFW's Bob Papson is quick to point out there are excellent musky opportunities also available at Greenwood Lake (1,920 acres), Monksville Reservoir (505 acres), Mercer Lake (275 acres), Echo Lake (300 acres; Newark Watershed, permit required) and the Delaware River (Montague to Trenton).

Mountain Lake (122 acres) and Oxford Furnace Lake (53 acres) also offer respectable fisheries.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts